Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking through the shelves at the book store, and it seems that there is plenty of choice of fly fishing magazines.

I am trying to decide weather to subscribe to any of them, so I was looking for some advice/feedback on content quality.

Do any of you subscribe to a fly fishing magazine? Which one?

Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
I enjoy reading "Northwest Fly Fishing" and "Flyshishing & Tying Journal." Both good reads, great pictures, trip information, skill development info, and fly tying assistance. Check them out and they are both from the NW.

·
fly fisher
1,023 Posts

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
Northwest Fly Fishing. Haven't checked out The Drake yet! I used to read Fly Fisherman, but when I got a copy with the possibility of resubscribing, I found it to be focused more on East coast stuff, and traveling to exotic locations. After two combat tours in jungles, I don't do "exotic"!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I really don't like any of the print magazines other than the Drake and a magazine probably no one has heard of called Montana Sporting Journal. Montana Sporting isn't strictly fly fishing and it also includes hunting, but the content is really solid.

Catch Magazine and This is Fly are my favs, though, and both are only available online for the great price of free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would recommend The Drake, The Fly Fishing Journal and NW Fly. All for different reasons.
The Drake covers a lot of territory... an International pub, if you will. The Fly Fishing Journal is where I go to dream of the trips that I want to do.
NW is where I go for my local stuff.
Good Luck,
PJ

G

·
One more for the Drake! I own a few years of the N.W. Fly fisher, you can borrow them. I imagine it could take you the rest of the closed C%R season to thumb through it all.

·
Long Drift Trouter
112 Posts
Fly Fusion is starting to show up more and more in the States. It's a quarterly with good info. I turn to it more for the coincidentals of fly fishing: philosophy, stories, techniques... it always has a few good fly patterns. I keep coming back to it because every issue is gorgeous and it's great to thumb through even after I've read it cover-to-cover.

It is a Canadian magazine, but most of the articles aren't location specific. I read it before I moved here, and loved it just as much.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.