Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Ignored Member
12,138 Posts
One of the reasons this method is used primarily for dollies and rainbows. When using a traditional egg fly the fish feed on salmon eggs with such abandon, they swallow the fly. The method of tying the egg fly up a few inches from the hook prevents the fish from swallowing the hook making c&r of the fish much easier with higher survival rates. The bead is used for its durability. These fish are hitting the bead thinking it is a salmon egg.

Flossing is deliberately allowing the line to enter the fish's mouth and running through to a hook on the end. It is an acceptable method in Alaska and other parts of the country.

· Ignored Member
12,138 Posts
I know well and have fished with the guide that was on the show mentioned above I have fished in a very similar situation as describe above. I assure you that the method was used for the soul purpose of protecting the fish. The bead is not positioned 6 inches above the hook. It is only around 2 or 3 inches at the most. As I stated before these fish are hitting the bead. The guide and the anglers were quite skilled for it is very easy to accidentally snag one of the many salmon milling about. They were taking a lot of time and effort to position thier casts to target the dollies feeding on salmon eggs. Snagging is easy. Targeting rainbows or dollies in the middle of hundreds of spawning salmon and avoid snagging the salmon is hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.