Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Be the guide...
5,157 Posts
KerryS is right on the money. I thought the setup was questionable until I saw how effect it was in the mandatory C&R rivers in both catching the fish and in releasing them safely.

As Kerry pointed out, it is much different than flossing. Flossing is just a snagging technique that allows you to snag a fish in the mouth easier. As we all know, snaggin a fish in the tail or back can make it much harder and less 'sporting' to land the fish. People employ this method on fish that are 'locked jawed' and stacked up or moving by quickly in schools. In areas where salmon are overly abundant, and harvest for meat is allowed and encouraged, then this seems like a reasonable way to get some food on the table and still make the event 'sporting', as opposed to just netting the fish or using dynamite... Unfortunately, too many use this (flossing)as a first option and don't bother finding out if the fish are in the mood to strike a properly presented fly\bait\lure. Just my .02 cents.

· Be the guide...
5,157 Posts
I agree mostly. I would put it this way (as I think someone did above).

If a the fish volutarily takes your bait\fly\lure, and ends up getting hooked because of HIS actions - whether that hook finds purchase on the side of his mouth, or in his throut, then this is not snagging or flossing, and in most states, it is legal to keep. But if he goes for your lure\fly\bait, and misses, but your hook gets him below the gill plate - back he goes...

If the fish is minding his own business, and your long leader finds his open mouth and you let it slide along until the hook snags the outside, or sometimes the inside of his mouth - because or YOUR actions, then your are flossing (a subtle way of snagging).

If you cast out near a fish or group of fish, and YOU initiate the first contact by either blindy 'setting the hook' like a bass pro, even though you didn't feel a bite, just hoping your hook finds some fish flesh... Or you retrieve your offering, looking for some kind of bump to indicate a fish's pressence - then you yank hard hoping for your hook to find a home in the fishes body... Or, you see the fish, you let your offering pass just behind the fish, and then you yank your line trying to snag the fish...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.