Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
hi

This is a common technique that i've seen used for sockeye and other salmon when they're in the river.
Practioners call the technique 'flossing' and the ones i've talked to about it consider it a skilful method of fishing.

If there's a vote - i'd, for the moment, abstain.

cheers
nic

· Registered
53 Posts
Hey Chad,

While the idea of a bead 6' away from a bare hook to avoid eager fish from swallowing the hook seems a bit excessive, I don't doubt the possibility that there are some anglers using it with this in mind. All the power to them.

However, it's not the fly or rig that determines if flossing is being practiced but rather the way in which the fly or rig is being used, eg. I use a nymphing technqiue with my favourite fly pattern for salmon and cutts in the Campbell River, the same fly is being used in the same run by flossers, and, concurrently, you can find a 'traditional' snagger using the identical fly in that run.

It's easy to identify what technique is being used and by whom - one is inside the mouth, the flosser is on the outside of the mouth and the traditional snagger is anywhere from the snout to the arse.

Cheers
nic

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.