Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It had been the other way around just a few years ago.....I hope my boots hold up, they are currently my favorites and I can resole them with new felts as needed.....but it's getting a little tough with the boot choices going away and the rubber sole issue.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
I've been blissfully ignorant, wearing my favorite Simms felts for the past few years and was semi-surprised to find that nobody's offering felt-soled boots anymore. Why? Because unlike the harder, non-absorbant soles like Vibrams or sticky rubber from Five-O, felts harbor invasive fish parasites that are easily transported from an infected fishery to one that's not yet infected. If you're not soaking your felts in a dilute bleach solution after fishing in waters where whirling disease is an issue, you risk bringing it to the streams where you live and infecting your home waters.

K

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see the etthical/sanitary issues are in play, but I don't see how a person on foot in the Western WA rivers could even stand up....it's already a treacherous proposition as it is without a wading stick, (getting old too =)...I have covered some ground in the mf of the Snoqualmie lately, and I had one night in a pair of merrell hikers, and it was damn near impossible to cross the river, absolutely no traction at all. The shoe monger was replacing an eye that popped loose on my felts.....I'll keep them going as long as possible, and I think the sanitizing of my boots will also be a habit to take up. The only water they have seen is the Snoqualmie the last few years

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I've seen scattered information on WDWF pages all the way back to 2004 when Chris posted text of a WDFW news release. Is there an up to date list of locations known to have whilrling disease? If not, maybe we should create one so that we can try to keep the members and guests informed.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Good subject but it gets hit pretty hard every couple of months or so. Gonna pass this time but highly recommend revisiting the last 2 or 3 'Rubber vs Felt' threads...lots of good info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.