Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Brother-in-law is going to be in town this weekend & we plan on taking him fly fishing on Saturday.
He's currently living in Colorado, within easy driving distance of some great fly fishing, but I know him - he'll appreciate any fishing we do, I'm just trying to decide between a river and a beach.

He's never fished salt, but the only fish *I've* caught in the salt is skulpin and flounder, so, I'm not sure I should be the one to introduce him to the salt... if I take him to a river, his not catching any fish would be A) Less likely and B) his own fault.

I'm leaning towards the beach fishing, even though I might enjoy actually catching a fish too, so the rivers are more of a temptation. Then again, he doesn't get many chances to fish from a beach.

Thoughts?

Paul

G

·
My wife and I spent some time with the kids at Double Bluff on Whidbey Island today, man the smell of fresh salt and fish rolling off the beach within casting distance was amazing.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Hi,

My Brother-in-law is going to be in town this weekend & we plan on taking him fly fishing on Saturday.
He's currently living in Colorado, within easy driving distance of some great fly fishing, but I know him - he'll appreciate any fishing we do, I'm just trying to decide between a river and a beach.

He's never fished salt, but the only fish *I've* caught in the salt is skulpin and flounder, so, I'm not sure I should be the one to introduce him to the salt... if I take him to a river, his not catching any fish would be A) Less likely and B) his own fault.

I'm leaning towards the beach fishing, even though I might enjoy actually catching a fish too, so the rivers are more of a temptation. Then again, he doesn't get many chances to fish from a beach.

Thoughts?

Paul
Sounds like you already answered your question between river and beach. I grew up on Colorado, and there is plenty of fine rivers there, don't take him river fishing cause it will disappoint if you're chasing trout. My vote is the beach, the beauty is that you might not know what you'll catch whether its flounder, sculpin, SRC or resident fish this time of year. Take the ferry over and it will add that much more to his experience. I think the salmon targeting or retention isn't open until the 16th, so be aware. You could say that you're fishing for SRC, but we've heard that arguement on this forum before. Whatever you decide, Saturday seems like a fine day weather wise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.