Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to get a few $ for my birthday last week, so went out immediately and purchased an Echo Carbon 7'3" 2 weight rod from the Gig Harbor fly shop.

I am going to use it for small streams and for the upper reaches of the S Fork of the Snoqualmie. Fishing for cutthroat in the 4" to 8" range. (See my avitar for an average fish I catch on the S Fork).

I want to buy another Ross Flystart 1 reel, I just need to decide what weight line to spool it with. I am trying to keep the price down since this is a small fish/small rod setup.

Does anyone have experience with a 2 wt? What size line do you like on it?

I test casted a 2 wt line, but had difficulty "feeling" the rod load.

I tried my 3-4 weight line and it felt better.

What are the pros/cons of overlining a light rod?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I am not familiar with that rod, but I am sure your rod will cast any of those lines at a particular distance. I don't remember the actual feet/equation, but purely as an example, if you were casting 60 feet the 2wt line may cast better because it is a bit lighter. However, at 30-50 feet the 3wt line may load the road better, and at 0-30 feet the 4wt line may work the best for you. If you aren't feeling the rod load at the distance you typically fish I don't see a problem over-lining the rod. The rod doesn't really care what line you use, it is really up to you to determine which line works best for you at any given distance. So the decision to over-line or under-line is really up to you and what you think will work best with the particular rod. At least that is how I look at it, for what it is worth.
Nice pick up though. As I said, I am not familiar with that rod but I am a huge ultra-light fan. Enjoy it.
Mike

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mike.

Most of my casts on the S Fork are 15 to 30 ft with a very few cast farther than that.

I have never fished smaller steams, but I imagine I would be doing roll casting due to restrictions on back casts.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
I have been using a 7'6'' IMX 2wt for years and settled on a 2wt DT line for it. The line is spooled on a tiny Lamson 1.5 reel that matches the rod nicely. I started with a WF line but since much of the casting with the 2 wt is done so close in I found the DT to be a better fit. Your results may differ. The 2wt is a fine panfish rod, an 8'' bluegill feels like a 4# bass on your line!

Ive

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ivan,

Thanks for your post. I may try the double taper some time in the future.

I ended up getting a 3 weight WF line for this rod.

The 2 wt felt too light.

I am a newbie to casting this small of a rod. It is harder to "feel" the back cast on this rod, so I am more comfortable with over lining it.

I obtained the 3 wt line because I already have a 4wt line/reel.

I like the "feel" of the 4 wt line on this rod, but it is probably overkill.

Maybe in time I will drop down to a 2wt line as I get become more sensitive to the lightweight, short rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.