Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to get a few $ for my birthday last week, so went out immediately and purchased an Echo Carbon 7'3" 2 weight rod from the Gig Harbor fly shop.

I am going to use it for small streams and for the upper reaches of the S Fork of the Snoqualmie. Fishing for cutthroat in the 4" to 8" range. (See my avitar for an average fish I catch on the S Fork).

I want to buy another Ross Flystart 1 reel, I just need to decide what weight line to spool it with. I am trying to keep the price down since this is a small fish/small rod setup.

Does anyone have experience with a 2 wt? What size line do you like on it?

I test casted a 2 wt line, but had difficulty "feeling" the rod load.

I tried my 3-4 weight line and it felt better.

What are the pros/cons of overlining a light rod?

Any advice is appreciated. :)

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mike.

Most of my casts on the S Fork are 15 to 30 ft with a very few cast farther than that.

I have never fished smaller steams, but I imagine I would be doing roll casting due to restrictions on back casts.

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ivan,

Thanks for your post. I may try the double taper some time in the future.

I ended up getting a 3 weight WF line for this rod.

The 2 wt felt too light.

I am a newbie to casting this small of a rod. It is harder to "feel" the back cast on this rod, so I am more comfortable with over lining it.

I obtained the 3 wt line because I already have a 4wt line/reel.

I like the "feel" of the 4 wt line on this rod, but it is probably overkill.

Maybe in time I will drop down to a 2wt line as I get become more sensitive to the lightweight, short rod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.