Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
What is good for one person may not be good for another. Good depends on what YOU are looking for in many different parameters.

Pick a river and learn it. The Sky is close so learn the river. Learn how to fish it at high, moderate and low flows. The fish act differently in given flows. Spend time looking and learn to read water and then apply that knowledge to the species of fish you are pursuing. A given species will tend to hold in certain spots and tend to move upriver in the same areas. A searun cutt preffers water quite different from a King salmon.

There are a lot of good books available. Trey Combs, Les Johnson to name a cople of authors that are well worth reading and can shorten the learning curve.

If you can book a guided trip and learn some basics from a good guide.

Fishing for anandromous fish is a learning experience. YOU have to put in your time on the river and studying. You need to learn how to properly swing a fly or how to properly nymph. Pick one technique and learn it.

Someone can tell you the rock to stand on but it means nothing. The conditions will dictate where the fish are going to be holding. They could be lying at your feet or out in the middle of the run depending on variables such as flow, light, visibility and other factors. Someone can fish a run in front of you and not touch a fish. It doesn't mean a fish isn't there. They may have been fishing the wrong water or were making a bad presentation or the fish just didn't want to play.

There is a lot of dumb luck involved. A lot of first steelhead caught are by dumb luck!! 10,000 casts and finally a hook-up. There are many who can relate how once again the line quit moving and they thought, once again they had hooked up on a piece of the bottom, and while trying to free up the fly it took off down river in a rush.

Dave

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Hell, when in Woodinville try the Sammamish Slough., The Snoqualmie river. Raging River. Just look at a map of the area and hit the Blue Squiggly lines.

Nobody is going to give out their favorite places. It all takes time.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Jim,

What a novel concept, looking for the blue squiggly lines on a map and chasing them down!!

You and I spent some really good days chasing those lines! We checked out a lot of country and had a some good laughs on the way. We caught a few fish and saw things we wouldn't have seen otherwise. I also learned that you are really a gritty old fart and a far better fisherman than you let on.

Dave

Dave

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I fished this area before we all had these things called computers. I put in a lot of time driving up and down the old logging roads that were open at that time. I never worried about how much gas costs. I just enjoyed my time out there. If you are worried about the cost of gas, don't fish. You can spend a lot or just a little. It depends how bad you want to find a good place to fish. I also spent a lot of time bush whacking to find places on the rivers. Some were fun and some were not. But all were an experience.. Also some of those old roads are not open anymore. Too much garbage dumping.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
It must be early summer. This forum is lately blessed with 2-3 "tell me where to go fishing" inquires per week rather than the normal rate of 1-2 per month.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Cool thanks everyone, and to those of you who i may have bothered ill just figure it out as i go :) lol
DJ,

Its not that you personally offended anyone, its just that there a a lot of people here who have spent years learning rivers the old fashion way..."We earned it". If you are old enough to remember the ad using that line featuring John Houseman you might understand where some of us are coming from. We did it before the internet and the Atlas and Gazetteer.

It is apparent that you are willing to get out there and earn your fish, but understand where some of us are coming from. Some of your questions are so basic it appears that you didn't bother to try Google, so some of us did it for you. Also understand that their are people lurking on this board just looking for some hot tip. That's not appreciated.

This forum tends to bend over backwards for a legit newbie that is trying to learn and is willing to pay his or her dues.

Good luck as you explore the squiggly blue lines!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Split thanks for seeing that am willing to put in the time, am just a little frustrated that's all. Looking at the mate i got and is some what helpful. I was told that Reiter Rd up by Startup is a good spot but then looking at Google map it looks like there is not a lot of area the fish, but i will check it put tomorrow. Also i was told to check out High bridge today also and then go under the bridge to the left and that is a good spot, went there or what i was thinking was High bridge but was not sure did not see a sign, is there a sign that says High bridge ? None of the maps say anything about Bridge name either, so its just kind of confusing is all am trying to express that's all. ill get it soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.