Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i am interested in trying to fish for steelhead with a fly rod, and was wondering what line weight to use to get started? i usually use a 6 weight for my trout fishing. but was thinking of using an 8 or 10 weight for steelhead. to be honest i don't understand the purpose of the different weight lines, an assume that it involves more line weight for casting bigger flies and into wind. also what would be the most useful line for someone on a budget to start with, sinking, floating or sink tip? i was considering cortland 444sl salmon/steelhead quick descent. the rivers i have in mind to try are stilly, both forks and main, sauk. thanks for any advice.

·
Bigfoot is blurry
1,913 Posts
what would be a good all around line weight...

For summer fishing a 6wt will work. You will want a heavier rod for winter fish for casting heavier lines and bigger flies. A 7wt is often thought of as the minimum for winter fishing. In summer you can fish effectively with a floating line or sinking tip but for winter you will need a sink tip. I'd get an 8wt rod with a multi-tip line system.
Many people use lines one size over their rod rating. You could use your 6wt with 7wt lines this summer and then get a 7wt rod by the winter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.