Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing the Cedar last year and expierenced the Ultimate river asshole. There is a section of the river about 100 yards or better long, with four good holes. I got to the river and found two guys fishing in my favorite hole, so I moved down to the next hole. My first cast brought a 14 inch cuttie flying a foot out of the water to nail my fly. Great, off to a good start. As I looked up river I saw another fisherman walking down river, he saw the holes were full and he turned around and went back up river. After about forty five minutes the guys in the hole above me left, cool, I'll head up river and fish the big hole.
I got to my spot made a few casts, and had a couple of knots in my tippet, I had only been there about three minutes. I put my rod in my vest loop, secured the tip aqnd started working on my leader. I looked up river to see the fisherman from earlier walking towards me.I'm working on my leader, and this guy stops about three feet up river from me. He then procededs to start falsecasting down river, about three feet in front of my face. He does this a half adozen times, and then makes a couple of shit casts across the river to the eddie the fish are in. I was speechless, I've never seen a fiisherman that (insert insult here). I didn't say anything, obviousley this guy was looking for a confrontation. He then proceded to go though the whole bullshhit again. Again I kept my mouth shut. Not getting a rise out of me, he walked down river behind me ,stopping a bout three feet below me. Now he starts whip casting up river in front of my face, and then casting across the river. He contoinues this a few times, now I'm starting to chuckle seeing how irrataited, this idiot is, about not getting a rise out of me. He goes through his bullshit a couple of more times, then walks off. Didn't even say good-by. AS much as I wanted to, and more worried about breaking my expensive rod, when I killed this guy, I managed not to say a word as he walked off up river. What would any of you have done if you had met this jerk. I fully expect to see him again on the river this year at some point.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
If I was big enough, I would have walked up to him with a smile on my face and ripped the rod out of his hand and threw it deep and far into the river. Or quickly break it and say "I assume you have a good warranty on that rod"?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I hope I would have done what you did. If you run into him on the river this year remember everyone has a bad day, give him a chance to be a decent person....Then break his rod.

Eric

·
The Great Sage
48 Posts
It's one of those opportunities in life where we get to remind ourselves that if it won't make a difference in our life tomorrow why get worked up about it today. Letting our temper get the best of us and giving someone like that what they want, a confrontation, physical or not, escalates a pointless situation, lowers ourselves to their level, solves nothing and shows a lack of emotional maturity. You did the right thing, there are plenty of good fishing holes. It's YOUR day on the water to relax and enjoy the free time you made to be there, don't let an a**hole like that ruin it. Much easier to say than to do, I know.

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
In as kind of a voice as I could try muster through my anger reaching its boiling point, I would have sarcastically asked him if he was familiar with river etiquette. :ray1:

I would have had trouble staying silent like you. Well done

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Hmm,

So which way is it? cast and step down and cast and step down and get out of the run when you re-rig to allow the next guy the water. Or is it who gets there first has exclusive use of the water.

It cann't be both ways!

Dave

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I like Ford Fenders idea.......A unique approach and what I would assume to be totally unexpected by the intruder. "Hi, I admire your casting. Can you teach me how you do it, now, please! I'll buy you a soda later and we can chat. Do you want to hook up and fish again next week?"

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
You did just fine . . . years ago, we likely would have had an asshat contest, but while I'm still rather large & fit, I have tempered with age. We don't control circumstances that arise, however we do control our response to those circumstances.

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
Hmm,

So which way is it? cast and step down and cast and step down and get out of the run when you re-rig to allow the next guy the water. Or is it who gets there first has exclusive use of the water.

It cann't be both ways!

Dave
Steelhead vs. trout fishing maybe?

I like the "kill with kindness" idea.

·
Geriatric Skagit Swinger
8,260 Posts
In this situation I usually start up a conversation with my invisible friend, Gifford.

"Gifford, please be quiet now! Can't you see this gentleman is trying to fish?
What? No...I don't think that would be a good idea. Besides, I'll bet this guy doesn't even care where we buried those bodies..."

·
1,411 Posts
"Gifford, please be quiet now! Can't you see this gentleman is trying to fish?
What? No...I don't think that would be a good idea. Besides, I'll bet this guy doesn't even care where we buried those bodies..."
Too funny!

Yeah I would've shook my head, chuckled, and then asked him how the fishing is....

Life is too short to be wasting your time on a lost soul when you could be fishing instead.

·
A guy who loves to fish
42 Posts
The fact that you didn't react probably got the better of him. You did the right thing, although talking to the imaginary person like _WW_ suggested would have been pretty funny.

·
Montana hillbilly
123 Posts
I am proud of you man! Human nature would make most of us react in a super negative way. He probably had a hall pass & was blowing it, frustrated, etc. Maybe he will get laid someday and be a better/amicable S.O.B.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.