Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would go with a 9'0 4pc 6wt w/TiCh hardware (for the salt water crowd)
Streamers, bobbers, dry, trout, summer run steelhead,

A custom rod is a HARD sale without a customer wanting that rod. Building is fun and addictive, best kept as a hobby ;)

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Withought an advance buyer with specific wants your just a speculation builder. It may be hard to find a buyer. Might i suggest you say "new builder looking to roll your custom rod at cost to your specs" to get going?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
With all the used rods available on WFF and other places, I see no need to buy a new rod (custom or not) for way more than used ones at a reasonable price. If I built a rod it would be for the fun of it; accepting the fact that the value on resale is not going to be there...

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Sweet, it's been a while since Patrick asked us a question then argued the answers! ;)

As others have said, a custom rod is a tough sale. Especially for someone who is not an established builder. Browse through the classifieds and watch for rods that are custom built. They aren't exactly flying off the shelves. Unless it's super cheap, for me personally there is little incentive to buy a custom rod when there are so many quality factory options with lifetime warranties available out there at inexpensive price points. Good luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
...After a few trips to a few stores looking at the quality of the rods, I wouldn't buy a factory rod ever again. They are thrown together so fast, it just looks like junk.
Maybe not all are like this, but most the ones I have seen are.
Not sure what rods you are looking at but mid level rods are put together quite well. In the end you are going to be competing with the used and closeout rod market. You'll have to be clear what your warranty policy is because you won't be able to eat somebody's rod three time with the minimal profit you can expect from this. You'll have to find a smokin deal on a desirable blank to even think about breaking even after you add in a little bit for your time. If it isn't decorated conservatively you just knocked out half your potential buyers before you start. There is just no predicting other people's tastes. Same with a decision to go two piece. Sure some guys prefer them, and they also know they are supposed to receive a discount over a four piece.

And don't worry about the build quality of a rod Cabela's puts on sale half the time for $50. You'd be lucky to buy the build components for those rods for what they retail for on sale. Sure you could upgrade it some but nobody is going to pay you for your cost and trouble.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.