Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me? I'm spending a little more time with my sweetie and 2 sweetie dogs, building a new computer up from scratch, and learning to tie better trout flies. Not to mention trying to become a better winter trout fisherman.

How about you all? I can't be the only one that has hung up my winter rod!

Rob :thumb

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
well, I'm pacing back and forth, biting my nails, and just generally waiting it out. On the other hand, I kinda like going to the sky and having holes all to myself. Usually it's packed. My casting of shooting heads and heavy sink tips is getting better too! Lots of practice. :smokin YT

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
Spending more time on my snowmobile. I keep looking at some of the small streams up in the hills though while I am up there and wondering are the streams I come accross open for fishing and are there any trout in them. I might have to start to carry some fly gear and a reg book when I go. I am also looking foward to Sunday and my turn to feed the 20,000 baby Coho being raised by Trout Unlimited. For the next few weeks at least I will get to look at some fish.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Spending time with my wife and playing my electric and acoustic guitars in my home studio, practicing my church praise songs.
Also reminicing of the last Steelies caught and trying to squeeze out virtual-adrenalin out of those memories!

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rob, Peter, and the rest of the crew,

My wife and I must be gluttens for punishment or need the taste of humility, because we are having no luck lately with the steelhead and continue to wade on. We read Dennis Dickson's article "Dollies Save The Day", we both grinned and off to the Sauk, only to be skunked. Feeling super humble right now! We are trying to remain optomistic by getting on this web site and living vicariously through all the successful fly anglers. My neighbor told me today that some thirty steelhead were in the Wallace, below the Highway 2 bridge. We don't fish the Wallace, but it sure did put a smile on my face. We have also been using this time to recon other sections of rivers we don't know. We took our ten year old son and three year old daughter on a "drive/lunch" and scouted various locations and saw plenty of Bald Eagles. Again, nice to see someone getting fish... But, the steelhead are right around the corner, I know it. When they do come in... hope to see you there. This weekend may be the perfect weekend to finish putting guides on the rod I started in the summer.

Best of fishing to everyone.

glen><>

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I haven't hung up my rod as of yet. I keep trying to find some water with something in it besides just water and tomorrow I'm going to hit Pilchuck Creek. But the rest of the time I'm just sittimg here typing on this stupid 'puter

Jim

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Well all I can say is that if you don't get out there and get that fly wet you won't catch anything. Keep on whining about no fish being around so I'll have more water to myself.I should start a rumor that there's a terrible virus in the west end rivers....Might cause your feet to rot and fall off... terrible thing.Ever notice how one day, after you've cleaned the closets and tied 200 dozen flies and washed the dogs and cleaned the gutters, that you are hearing about allot of people catching fish and you werent one of them?!Someone has to be there when they come home... why not you?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I only get to fish once every two weeks or so, twice if I'm lucky. I'm going out tomorrow, who knows where though. I normally hit the Cow but its well over 9,000cfs, tooo high. Maybe mess around at Palmer or the Sky, we'll see if I'm up to drive that far.
If I'm not fishin', I'm usally talkin'/thinkin' about fishin' 200 times a day wether at work or at home, kinda scary...

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Only 200 times a day??? Whats wrong with you brother Peter, it should be more like 300-400 times a day! ;) :7 .
I have just been a Ford fool the last three weeks or so. Im just trying to past the time until the steelies realize im waiting for them LOL. Granted im having a blast slaying these hogs at the Ford so my rods not hanging yet. Soon they will come.

~Patrick ><>

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
I am with Little Stone and Spey here - Must go on......only rumors of NO fish.....must continue to try......no matter what. I will be waiting when they show and everyone else will be sitting at home, wishing the fish were here - meanwhile, I will be tied up with one of those mystery fish. Like I always say: OPTIMISM is the KEY!!! My mind is a total rest when on a river, I totally relax from all the BS of work, life, divorce, etc. Dont care if there is fish....it sure clears my head just to be out there.

·
been around
117 Posts
three weeks wondering around the yak then the joe then montana with a easy going spaniel, 5# sage,box of dry's van that I sleept in and 362.00 was the only thing that kept me sane during the 2nd big D for me. give me a yell if you want to meet up on the skagit some time. hang in there man
john

·
Registered
24 Posts
How about you go back and re-live the good times this past fall of when the chums and silvers came in thick and we had a blast....... here is what I am talking about... go through the your pic's of the fish you caught that's what I am doing
:p

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Not being much of a Steelheader, I'm not missing much. But not fishing on a regular basis I've turned to my other passions. Making sawdust. I'm doing some woodworking, building a couple of rods, tying flies, and running my dog's butt off. Scouting the online sites for a sidelock 20 guage. Helping my wife more around the house since she went back to school.

And waiting until the next Team Rugged outing, we may have a couple of surprises....tight lips Mac!

Roper,

Truth above all

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
You guys are gonna hate me. I've been ignoring the negatory return reports and going fishing anyway. Little Stone is right on when he says that you have to be out there to catch a fish. I've also been exploring new water, taking my Sportspal 13-foot squarestern aluminum canoe, powered by Minn Kota trolling motor, paddle, and pole, up river as far as I can go with the flood tide (local "drowned rivermouth" estuarine small river) on an early morning flood, and then tying up to the bank and hiking/fishing upstream in rarely fished water.Going back out late when the tide returns. Also driving logging roads trying to find access into places that look worth checking out on the topo maps I print out off Topozone. Many times i've gotten skunked but that doesnt matter 'cause i'm out there in the magnificent beauty and solitude. I take my 6 wt. flyrod and my steelhead drift rig with me in my canoe, but when I walk in, I take one or the other. Score, so far: Flyrod, three attempts, no fish, but briefly hooked up with a cutt on a barbless Knudsens Spider.This last tuesday I had a subtle take that I feel must have been a steelhead while attempting to "upstream nymph" a purple egg-sucking leach, but by the time I sensed it, it was too late. Spin/drift rod: About 20 cutts mostly 10"-13", two about 16" all released, and 6 steelhead, one released...all from the same hole over a period of about 5 weeks.(I worked hard and tramped many brushy river miles before I was rewarded with this discovery...and I am not the only one who fishes it although I've never met any of the others). The fish seem to bite better in the few days leading up to the full moon. Last week was phenomenal; on wednesday(15th),I had a hatchery steelhead make five passes at my spin/glow before I hooked it and immediately lost it due to a bad knot. I culled this 5# dummie from the gene pool about an hour later using the same size/color (pink pearl) spin/glow and it still had the first one stuck in the corner of its mouth with 2 feet of leader and a swivel trailing! An hour later, after switching lures to a black-winged/bodied job with phosphorescent green dots, I caught the biggest steelhead I'd ever caught: a battlescarred hatchery buck in full spawning colors, 34 3/4' long and 13.5 lbs field-dressed. Lucky moon! :7

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
(Continued from previous post): Two days later at the same hole, I caught its twin brother, 35 1/4" long and about 15 lbs, my biggest yet!!! and although it, too, was a hatchery fish, I released it because it was too fine a specimen to take from this little river. It was a beautiful fish. Its brother that I took two days earlier and kept, suffered from a badly shredded tailfin (seal?) and had some black leeches on its gills. I felt like it wouldn't survive to make another run. Came out of the smoker tasting mighty fine!
A friend from Humptulips told me that they are catching some below Stevens Creek hatchery, but that is a crowded gear/bait scene that even I can't stand. There are fish being taken upstream, also, and it is less crowded there. This leads me to believe that the hatchery run is faring much better here on the south coastal streams than it is on the north penninsula and Puget Sound streams. The return statistics seem to support this.
I have yet to catch a steelhead on a fly! :hmmm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.