Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whatever it takes I must catch steelhead this weekend! 3 days off - no excuses. I must, I must, I must. No drive is too far . . . wondering where to go . . . any suggestions?!?!

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Grande Ronde. If idiots like Poens and I can catch fish there, you should be able to as well. 450 miles each way, assuming you live in Seattle.

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sparse, check your e mails and get back to me!!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
How did I get classified as an idiot, let alone put in the same class as you :eek:?? Only idiots spend hours, days, weeks, months, seasons, years, and thousands of casts only to no avail in efforts to catch an elusive steelhead....never mind I guess I am an idiot :beathead . But wait, my memory is coming back to me, I actually caught two steelies and lost three more. nevermind Im still an idiot I guess.

For the record, Sparse didnt catch a fish...so quit telling people you did :professor ....oh wait I guess you did...I dont remember though, was it with a fly rod?? :p :p

:rofl :rofl :rofl

~Patrick ><>

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Sparse, You owe this esteemed group some sort of explanation about Powens comment. How did you catch that fish? We want a Power Point presentation by noon today!

Roper,

Tie me, Fly me, Whip me, Strip me.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Well if you had more info in your profile I could almost tell you where to go. But as I don't know where you are coming from I can't help you too much. But I can give you a few hints.There are a few fish in the Stilly. I know because one jumped in front of me yesterday about 5 times. I think it was flashing me off or it was giving me the finger. The guy I was with had a few hits also. There are also fish in most of the rivers in the greater Everett area. Say the Stilly(where it's fishable),the Sauk,Skagit,Sultan,Sky,Snoqualmie. They all have fish in them. You just have to go out and try to find them. This probably won't help you but I tried.

Jim

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dammit! There was only one fish caught by SGH. This fish was caught on a 5wt (because I didn't know I'd be heading to the Ronde) and on a flourescent pink leech. If you want, you can discount the presentation as a strike indicator was used to keep it on the bottom. The fish was brought within 4 feet of me. With the fish on I backed up into water that was 2 feet deep. I tried to grab my leader and swing the fish to me (like you do when you land a trout) and the fish became unbottoned and swam away. Rookie move. I guess because steelhead have tough mouths, the hook doesn't penetrate as much as you think it does,and you have to keep the pressure on them, and that means damn near beaching them.

The other fish was B.S. Our "guide" (some cool drift fisherman we hooked up with) was just slammin' on fish drifting yarn. He was on to his fourth fish and he says to me "You should reel this fish in." I was kind of hesitant and non-commital and non-commental, as I intended to land my first steelhead on fly. He said , "C'mon man, don't be PROUD." I then recognized that I WAS being proud by not accepting the offer that he was making to him. So I reeled his fish in. Poens has pics--lots of them. I didn't catch that fish--he did. I only landed it.

So, the question remains, if you get a steelhead within 5 feet of you before the LDR, is it considered a "catch"? Mind you, I did not say "landed" which is a totally different accomplishment.

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey sparse if you touched the leader it counts as a catch.
Althogh it always feels better to actually touch them and get a picture but look at it this way at least you didn't harm the fish.:thumb

fly15

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
hahaahaha! I cant believe Sparse came clean like that! BUT, that fish does not count! no way! Worry not, I'm taking sparse on a float of the sky tomorrow, I will put him on a fish so he will be able to claim a steelie by tomorrow afternoon. Damn trout only guys, Claim'n steel! keep dream'n!:rolleyes YT:smokin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.