Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I overheard an Elfin' rumor about a gift certificate for the Greased Line in Vancouver WA. I'm considering buying a 9' 7wt for steelhead and I love throwing poppers for bass. I would like some recommendations. I love my 5wt GL3 but the St.Croix LU or Avid have really caught my eye. Can someone recommend a good 7wt, 2 piece rod in the $200 range? If you have a Legend Ultra how do you like it? Also will I have any trouble using my 5/6 Orvis Rocky Mountain with a 7 wt line? Thanks Ben

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 3 piece, 7wt, 9'9" Legend Ultra that I bought for Steelhead, Bass, and the salt. I use a Rio Multi-tip. Though I have yet to land a steelhead, bass, or silver with it I am very satisfied with it. It handles small to medium sized rivers and large flies very well. Its good for carp too. I am very satisfied with it.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,347 Posts
Well, a 7 wt is just fine for summer steelhead, and a bit small for winter steelies. And for Bass poppers I prefer something bigger, especially to throw deer hair poppers.

But as to what rod is "good" they are all good, for someone. Heck, my go-to rod for steelies in small rivers and summer is a WWGrigg 9' 7wt IM6 rod, mid-flex with plenty of power to toss a 1/0 marabou. It cost me $40.

I am currently hunkered over a 9' 9wt Rainshadow XCEL IM-8 blank, wrapping the guides. This baby is fast, fast, fast. Probably like an XP or RPLXi. I bought it to chuck big bass poppers, LC-13 shooting heads, and 3/0-6/0 marabous for winter steelies. Oh, and including the case, it cost me $214.

I have no idea whether your 5/6 reel will handle the 100-150 yards of 20 pound backing and a 7 wt sinktip, but gel-spun backing can make almost anything work. And an Okuma Sierra 7/8 will set you back $40 and hold 100 yards plus the sink tip, and spare spools are only $20.

So it all depends on what you want in a rod. I have no idea what "good" means to you. To some its a Sage XP, to me it's something else, but I would not diss any rod, unless it was truly crappy.

:dunno

Rob

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
IMO, for 200.00 you cannot beat a St.Croix Legend Ultra.
They are Quality USA Made FAST action rods and superlite at the right price. I have a 5wt LU and it works perfect! If your lucky, you can find a Loomis GLX 7-8wt for under 300.00 used.
You are going to need a fast rod for Steelhead, if you do alot of roll casting,etc.
Good Luck!

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Bent rods and tight lines!
109 Posts
I have a 7 wt 4 pc Legend Ultra and love it.
It shoots a good line and have caught many Steelies on it.
You can catch winter steelies on it fine if you know how to play and land a fish.
Great rod for the price.
Don't know about how the reel will work. Sounds too small.
I use a large arbor Bauer on mine.:7

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Ben, you need to get a new reel for a 7 weight. Your 5/6 probably could hold just the 7 weight line, but would have no room for backing. Doh!

There are a number of imported rods that are kicking butt. Before I would consider the Griggs, I would consider the Temple Fork Outfitters series of rods (all under $200), the Redington Wayfarer 5 piece ($195 retail), and the series of rods newly imported by Rajeff Sports called Echo Rods (under $150). Now if you want to buy U.S. made, I'd be all over the St. Croix Avid. For the same price as an Ultra, you can own an Avid AND a new reel!

:rofl

·
Registered
385 Posts
You should consider either building a rod, or having one built. You will get twice the rod for your money, and to top it off you choose the colors and componants. I have been building for quite some time now, and even though I own a bunch of high end gear, you can't beat a custom rod for many reasons. First thing is the Quality of Craftsmanship, would you rather have a rod built by someone who has a quota to meet each day, or someone who is focused on one customers project at a time? I want people to pay close attention when they do things for me, don't you? Second is the quality of componants, big buisness demands that cuts be made to keep profits at an acceptable level, which often means the the quality of craftsmanship and componants both suffer in the wake of increased production pressure and lower production expendatures. This is unfortunatly a sign of the times in all manufacturing, but when a product is manufactured specificly for you, you get exactly what you want. Third is the most important IMHO, having a rod tailor made to suit your own tastes and stlyes. In time, you will find that every rod, no matter if it's a big name or value brand, has little things that are less than perfict about them, maybe the grip is a bit large for your hand, you wish the strippers were larger, or even the first one angled a few degrees twards your stripping hand.....The list goes on and on, but if you take part in the design and manufacturing of your rod, you end up with a extremely personalized fishing tool, and not just a stick with some flash and a big name on it. I may only build 10-15 rods annualy, but I would put any one of my rods against a big name rod that costs the same, and can almost gurantee that you would walk away with one of my rods over all the rest. But the reason I say almost is the human factor, some people have to have the flashy, shiney things, with the big name on it, and honestly.....I'm that way at times too.:smokin

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been very happy with my Cortland 7/8. Fast action, nice features (esp. salt version) and well-priced. Of course, the last post makes me want to build my own, but I seem to have far too little time to fish, much less tye flies or build rods. Maybe you should ask if he would be willing to build you a rod?

:beer2

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm always more than willing, and my work speaks for itself. Some of you had the chance to see a couple of my rods at the party, And I build every one with the same attention as if it was my own. The whole rod building thing has many benifits, above and beyond the three things I stated above. For me, it completes the circle of fishing experiance, everything that I put into the sport, I get back in pure satisfaction. Like catching a fish on the fly you tied, for me building rods for myself and others is like sharing a pattern with someone, and having them have the best day on the water of their life becuase of that fly. I know what I like, and I also know how to achieve the results I'm after in my gear. When I can help someone obtain what it is that they want, especially if they really are not sure themselves in the begining, It gives me a great feeling of accomplishment as well as a good feeling that someone gets to experiance the satisfaction and pleasure of having the "Tool" they helped design, which meets their every expectation, and greatly enhances their fishing experiance. My wife says that I'm insane when it comes to my fishing, and she may be right, but fishing is my first love, and if I can help to enhance any other persons enjoyment of being on the water, it enhances mine as well. I have had people tell me that "this rod building could get big before you know it if you do things right", but I hope that I never loose sight of giving each and every rod I build the personal attention that my very first rod got. You all know where to find me, Even if you only want to talk about building a rod yourself, I always get back what I put in tenfold, by sharing what others have shared with me, any way I can.:smokin

·
Bent rods and tight lines!
109 Posts
You have a nice add-on in the fly line picture to the side of the letter. Would you mind sharing? If so great, if not I understand! I agree to catch a fish on a fly you tied, with a leader you made, on a rod you built is wonderful!!!
Thanks

:+

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.