Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been away from fishing for a while and kinda need to pick an intermediate skagit head for my Beulah Platinum 6wt 10'4. I'll be using imow 5/5 or 2.5/7.5 and T-8.
Any recommendation and suggestion would be nice.

·
dead drifting into thread drift
x_posts
Airflo Intermediate is discontinued and replaced with the FIST head. The FIST is super awesome.
I'm just gonna tag along on this thread...How do you like the FIST compared with the old intermediate. I have the int both for my switch and a cut back version for my SH and absolutely love how it fishes and casts. What would the potential advantages be with the FIST? disadvantages?

·
Hot Carl
x_posts
I'm just gonna tag along on this thread...How do you like the FIST compared with the old intermediate. I have the int both for my switch and a cut back version for my SH and absolutely love how it fishes and casts. What would the potential advantages be with the FIST? disadvantages?
Working at Rajeff Sports, my opinion may be slanted. I think it's the best way to do an intermediate head. I drew up this diagram to show how they sink.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #6
The FIST don't come low enough for my rod, I am considering the Rio iFlight or calling Steve. But I'll follow the drift here and learn more about the new stuffs.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool Craig, I'll look it up, that might be my only option that come near the 360 mark. I have a 400 something intermediate skagit that just too heavy for the rod. But we'll see.

·
Hot Carl
x_posts
Evan, anything new from Airflo for next year?
Yeah, a few things. Thew new Skagit Switch G2 and the Skagit Scout the main additions to the spey world. The Scout is an interesting beast. Super short Skagit head that can be used on switch rods, or a singlehander as a single-hand spey head. There's also the beach and surf lines, which are pretty cool lines, but not exactly spey related.

·
Registered
x_posts
I second the Rio iShort. I use the 350 on my 5 weight spey and it's my go-to line when I need to cast larger flies w/tips and I appreciate not needing to mend.

The NextCast Zone in F1 is a great line but it doesn't come in lighter sizes and is hard to find in stock.

The Airflo FIST is a nice head that I use on heavier rods but it is a specialty line and in no way shape or form replaces an intermediate.

An Airflo Rage in intermediate would be a fantastic line but seems to only be available in the UK and in heavier sizes. My feedback to Airflo is to bring to the US and recognize the spey world does not begin at 7 weight!

·
Hot Carl
x_posts
I second the Rio iShort. I use the 350 on my 5 weight spey and it's my go-to line when I need to cast larger flies w/tips and I appreciate not needing to mend.

The NextCast Zone in F1 is a great line but it doesn't come in lighter sizes and is hard to find in stock.

The Airflo FIST is a nice head that I use on heavier rods but it is a specialty line and in no way shape or form replaces an intermediate.

An Airflo Rage in intermediate would be a fantastic line but seems to only be available in the UK and in heavier sizes. My feedback to Airflo is to bring to the US and recognize the spey world does not begin at 7 weight!
What we carry here for USA distribution is based on what sells in the USA, and the intermediate Rage would not sell here, much like the intermediate Skagits were a tough sell. A few other companies have tried the intermediate Scandi in the USA, but have discontinued production or USA distribution (like Guideline). From what I know, we've only had one real direct request for that head from one consumer, but no dealers or reps. So it seems demand is still minimal.

·
Super Moderator
x_posts
If you think an int rage head would be cool then check out the Rio Scandi body intermediate. It's basically a hybrid scandi skag hybrid like the Rage but a full intermediate and clear! I don't know why people don't use it more because it's sweet. Check out reviews on it.

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
x_posts
There was never a U.S. market shortage for Guidleline heads.. more of a supply/demand breakdown due NA distributor issue/s. Guideline had a VERY strong market base here and guessing would yet.. if the supply chain hadn't broke down.

It is frustrating to see something that looks so appealing, by a favored manufacturer, yet pretty well out of practical reach on the home front. RIO has been guilty of same, none are immune. You get what the numbers support as being a 'viable' seller. It would be sweet if some of these type heads could be sourced through home front option.. even on pre-pay-order plan.

Edit: Been kinda multi-tasking here so not up with current post. The Intermediate Scandi Body XP mentions is very viable option, and offered in a little lighter line classes. I've got one in 6wt to complement my SS-VT 6wt kit. It's been very friendly and effective for my use.

·
Registered
x_posts
Thanks for the suggestions on the intermediate Rio SSVT. I actually have one for my 5 weight and have spent some time with it.

I really like the Rage because it is so versatile, casts nicely and the extra length is that much less stripping/line management to deal with. For example, the 5 weight SSVT is 23' long while the Rage is 28'. That's five feet less running line to deal with every cast which adds up over the course of a day. (to me anyway)

If I was limited to only one line (gasp!) the SSVT would probably be the pick because it can do just about everything. But since I'm not I feel the rage is a better choice for me when I don't need to cast larger flies or heavy tips.

The Nextcast Zone in F1 is a great line and probably the nicest all around intermediate head for my casting; I just wish they came in lighter sizes.

·
Registered
x_posts
Interesting thread, what's considered old may be considered new again! I recall a line called the "Windcutter Interchangeable tips Spey line." The later versions came with a "density compensator" section which could be used to replace the 2nd floating section and sink tips added. Today this useless old line would perfectly describe a scandi multi-density line. Used as designed a floating with sinktip line of 50+ feet becomes a multi-density scandi type line around 37' with density compensator and sinktip. I used these lines for many years but rarely used the density comp section because I didn't think I needed it.

Here's the specs of the old MT Windcutter. Tip 2 would be slow sinking (density comp or int. sink) and the final tip of whatever sink rate you wanted. No market exists for these line though...?

Sorry, guess I should shut up since this won't work with 5 or 6wt or lighter lines.

·
9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
x_posts
Next cast makes zones from 300 grains and up. If you want lighter then just cut from the back. They are pretty cool heads, I also like the steelhead finder 45...but the zone is meaningfully more powerful and is just 2 or 3 ft shorter, so the 45 is somewhat redundant. At that point I'd rather throw a longer winter authority.

·
dead drifting into thread drift
x_posts
Interesting thread, what's considered old may be considered new again! I recall a line called the "Windcutter Interchangeable tips Spey line." The later versions came with a "density compensator" section which could be used to replace the 2nd floating section and sink tips added. Today this useless old line would perfectly describe a scandi multi-density line. Used as designed a floating with sinktip line of 50+ feet becomes a multi-density scandi type line around 37' with density compensator and sinktip. I used these lines for many years but rarely used the density comp section because I didn't think I needed it.

Here's the specs of the old MT Windcutter. Tip 2 would be slow sinking (density comp or int. sink) and the final tip of whatever sink rate you wanted. No market exists for these line though...?
View attachment 128964

Sorry, guess I should shut up since this won't work with 5 or 6wt or lighter lines.
Jesus Christ, that's a lot of separate "tips" and middle sections that seem interchangeable...

I'm just getting into this two-handed game with my Echo glass switch and it sure is fun...but it's also fun to read these threads that are totally geeking out on lines...

was there an original question from the OP here? I got side-tracked....prolly ok, since I'd likely not be able to answer accurately anyway...

x_y_of_z_posts