Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steelhead numbers are close to 2000 a day at Bonneville. I was wondering when would be a good time to start focusing in on these fish. Does anyone know if there are fish being caught now? What should waters levels be like for this river? Any info would be appreciated.

Forestolibre

·
Registered
561 Posts
Fish bio's I fish with said they should there by the end of July but with the high water levels on the Col. it might be later. I agree I don't think they're up there yet. Fishing is good on the NFL right now though. A guy could float down from the dam to the hatchery , the sleds don't go that high up so you don't have to worry about getting run over, pontoon drifting that is.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Forestolibre,

Questions usually end with a "?" not a "!" since you are appreciative of any information. Klickatat flows are still high (1,500 cfs) for what most anglers consider comfortable fly fishing. The forecasted hot weather is likely to make the river turbid from glacial melt. The fishing will likely get better as flows drop and begin to clear during periods of cooler weather in a month or so.

Svinyard,

A popular float on the Klick is from the slide about six miles upstream of town to the public launch and retrieval access in the town of Klickatat.

Sg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took all the advice and went anyways and caught one nice fish. I figured I would try before the weather got hot. The river looked really good, still high though. There were no fish in the regular runs and finally i tried some spots in some more shallow holes under trees. That's where i got my fish. I used a stone fly and an egg pattern. Fish took the egg pattern. Thanks to all. Even the guy who criticized my grammar.

forestolibre

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
I was blanked Sunday and Monday mornings. I'm going to get a level wind and some bait hooks. What florescent pink color of shrimp should I buy?

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
I was blanked Sunday and Monday mornings. I'm going to get a level wind and some bait hooks. What florescent pink color of shrimp should I buy?
Sz 12 or 14 peach corkie and a bit of white yarn should do the trick. That and knowing where they're most likely to hold/travel.

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
Here's the latest:

Each of these afternoon humps means the freezing levels are high enough that the Klickitat Glacier is sending a big surge of flow down the Big Muddy Creek from the afternoon before. I drove over there this morning and decided to go carp fishing instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.