Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have not tried all on the list because of my bias toward Galvan reels. I have only ever had one problem with a Galvan and it was taken care of in a very timely fashion, they explained they had gotten a bad batch of grease and it had caused the problem.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I've grown fond of my Lamson Velocity and Radius reels. Great products, great price and even better service... a rarity in modern day America.

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
I like Reddington reels. I think they are good reels for the money and they look great too! Take for instance their Behemoth reel (which i'm soon to own), 100 dollars for a 4.25 spey reel! That's a good deal. A comparable reel that size and look would be hundreds more.

Reactions: r.overstreet

·
Registered
273 Posts
Normally I am a big fan of the Hardy Golden Prince-despite the name-recently I have had to switch to lefty casting for a while, so I dug out my Pflueger 1495 from the 1960's. WTF? What a reel! Have to convert it to left hand drive when I go back to rightie casting.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
I really like Hardy Lightweights and have a couple LRHs and a Princess, and a few extra spools. I know I'd really like a Perfect but don't want to commit the dollars. (Same could be said for boo.) I also like and have some Bauer's and a couple Sage 3300Ds.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I really like Hardy Lightweights and have a couple LRHs and a Princess, and a few extra spools. I know I'd really like a Perfect but don't want to commit the dollars. .
Same here . I could use another LRH though , as I only have one and a few spools . I recently picked up a 9/10 Sunbeam , it`s gonna be heavy for it`s intended purpose , but I`ll fish it anyway .

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I can't say I really have a true favorite. Trout fishing requires little in the way of a reel and over the years I've gravitated toward simple spring-and-pawl reels which has given me the opportunity to use some of the older reels which I have collected over the last few years. Here are a few, mostly from the twenties or thirties.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Cylinder Auto part

from L to R: a Pflueger 1494 Medalist (spring-and-pawl, the adjustable drag was not introduced until 1938), an early Dingley from the '20s, an Army-Navy Co-operative Store reel (made by Reuben Heaton), a Newport reel by Percy Scott, made in the Isle of Wight, and a stirrup-latch Hardy Uniqua.

Font Circle Gas Metal Nickel

3 1/8" Hardy Perfect.

In spite of their age, all of these reels are fully functional and are regularly used.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Any reel with a red agate is good with me.
Especially those old Youngs - like WW's superb example of a 1930's model 15A shown above

Here's a Young model 10b ("Perfect" clone) from the '30's I like to use;

Plant Water resources Plant community Natural landscape Wood

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Bombproof, lightweight and killer drag system, in that order.

No name brand loyalty here.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.