Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this would be an interesting topic. So lets hear it, what was your most unusual or unexpected fly caught fish?

I will start it out. I was fishing the south sound for SRC a few years back and I was fighting a tangled fly line in the boat. Meanwhile, my clouser had sunk to the bottom. Once I got my line untangled I began to strip my fly back in and noticed a significant amount of dead weight. I thought I had a nice batch of sea weed or maybe even the elusive star fish. Turns out it was the majestic rat fish.:rofl: I reluctantly touched the slimy and almost alien looking creature and sent it on its way to go do its rat fish thing. :clown:

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Tonight I caught a crawdad. That was a first on a fly-rod.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I caught a little 4# resident coho hen on my first time fly fishing a little bay. Heck yes, it was unexpected. I had to think long and hard if I wanted to hike a half mile through the woods and then, gulp, down a 50' high bluff ladder to the beach below. That rickety cable and log ladder down to the beach scared the shit out of me. Caught that coho hen on a deciever pattern striped fast as I could in the lanes between the visible kelp bulbs. Holy crap that was exciting and quite some time ago. Due to continual residential property development you can no longer get there the way I used to go. Now it is only by beach hike or by watercraft.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
I caught a steelhead once
Nice! LOL!

I caught a rock in the salt when the hook caught a barnacle on the rock! Didn't fight very well though... kinda like most of the sucka's I've caught over the years... :cool:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I caught a Bonapart gull fishing in the salt last year, hit a lavendar and white clouser! The guys' around me got a good chuckle watching me play him!

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I also caught a crawdad. Grabbed a leech and wouldn't let go.

Also had a bat grab a dry fly out of midair at twilight. Couldn't really see what happened. All of the sudden my fly line was flying around. Really unpleasant to unhook.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Big bullfrog when I was around 14 years old while popper fishing for bass, I have caught a few now but the first time was funny as hell with the frog jumping all over the place trying to get away.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
It's unusual if I catch anything even the intended prey. But it's also very pleasing

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
How about an 18" channel cat in about 2 feet of water while fishing for large-mouths in North Carolina? Or a starry flounder while fishing for silvers in an estuary in Alaska?

Steve

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Well there was this one time when I chucked a weighted bugger into a plunge pool. I let it sink a second or two, got a nice tug and set the hook expecting some chrome to explode from the water. Instead, my line started wriggling like crazy. Turns out I fouled a 2' long lamprey that was stuck to the rocks. Still get the willies thinking about it.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.