Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing some good things about the snoqualmie I thought that I would check it out. I drove up there at and was fishing by 8 am. I fished the middle fork, and was suprised how big it was, i thought it was smaller. anyway I fished until 3, going all the way up to where the road ends and the river is small. And I did not have a single bit all day, nor did i see a single fish rise. I must have used 15 flies, elk hair caddis, wolly bugger, bead head hairs ear, bead head prince, zug bug, stone fly, yellow stimulator, adams parachute, BWO and various other dries and nymphs. Anyway is there something else I should be using, or was it just a bad day after the rains.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did the same thing this summer except fish were jumping everywhere and I could not get them to take a thing. I started the day off landing a small trout on my first attempt using a small green bead head nymph. I thought the day would be awesome catching a fish so fast. I stayed there for the next 3 hours casting everything in my fly box. I tried dry, wet, sink tip line, full sink line, fast / slow retrieve. As a newbe to fly-fishing I gave up and never went back. My luck at other areas is better so my opinion is that the fish see a lot of fishing pressure and they are real picky. A fly shop told me (and sold me some) water "skidder" bugs that are supposed to work if you retrieve them real fast with a real small tippet (7X or 8x). I have not tried them because I have not been back. I now have the Salmon/steelhead bug so trout will have to wait until spring.

PS. when I was fishing there, a car coming down the dirt road lost control and when off the road almost taking out my truck, it was a heck of a crash. Standing in a peaceful river at 8 Am on a Sunday morning and then "CRASH". It was a 4WD Subaru - OUCH!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The middle fork is generally the largest of the three forks. On top of that, it's been pretty huge the last few days from the rain. In my opinion, the Snoqualmie above the falls is for summer fishing, especially if you want good dry fly action. (It's also a hell of a lot more wadeable then.)
Go back next July and fish until you can't see anymore. As it gets dark some great hatches come off and there are fish everywhere. 15 inch cutts do exist above the falls, and I assume they're a little easier on nymphs, but I have hooked a couple on drys. You just gots to finds the spots.....:jj

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.