Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the Skagit/Sauk, tossing my new 9wt :smokin in all sorts of locals: boulder runs, heads and tails of pools, deep in the center of pools for bulls, but no hits for this guy. And I saw no one with fish, either.

I hear that the Skagit/Sauk is producing fish, and none of the other North Sound rivers are, as this year's run is late.

Has anybody hear word on the Bush Point/Whidbey Is. Steelie fishery?

Has anybody been seeing fish around in the rivers, and I mean steelies!?

Rob :dunno

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Where are dem fishies, dem fishies I want to catch?...

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." BOBLAWLESS

I have not seen nor heard of anything. Went down to the Grande Rhonde and saw nothing. I had one strike but my summer reflexes took over and I ripped the dry fly right out of his mouth. I love dry fishing, but I hate that aspect. Oh well, still learning!

I heard a hot rumor that the Skagit was so loaded with fish that they ran into my informants waders. He caught nine or so he said, giving me a bunch of flesh flies. He was a contractor working on my house and he told me the day I left for the Rhonde. Since I had booked a guide and had reservations for my trailer, I was committed to the Grande Rhonde for at least a few days. Then I beat it up to the Skagit R. (hatchery at Monument) and did not see a single fish.

I'm wondering if this is happening to all hatchery fish, e.g. that they storm the hatchery in one large school, the hatchery puts up some big numbers, and we catch no fish. Do I smell a rat here?

Something is radically wrong when a fine bunch of skilled and dedicated fly fishers as lurk about on this site are not crowing about the great fishing. What gives? Whose throat do we need to cut besides Holmgren's? :dunno BOBLAWLESS.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Give Holmgren one more year--they will make the playoffs.

Hey tight loops-- what kind of sink tip are you using for your nine? I am building a line because I can't find a good tip--its either to heavy or not heavy enough, I am looking for something that will sink about 4-5ips, I use an rpl+.

Mcronariver

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I saw about a 10lb'er on the Skagit about a week ago. And no it was not a Chum. It was by the public fishing spot Kiddy Corner to Howard Miller Steelhead Park. Up Where everyone says it's
the outlet to Barnaby Slough,which I kinda doubt. It was just swimming lazyily along out of the current and did not get alarmed at the site of me. And I could scare the Chrome off a bumper ;) :rofl

Jim:thumb

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The heck with Holmgren, lets talk fishin'.

On my 9wt, I have several choices:

-SA Ultra 4 13' sinktip Type 5.
-the above with a 5' Airflo Poly leader Very Fast Sink tip attached.
-30' shooting heads in intermediate, medium, fast, and super fast sink. Mostly I just use the super fast sink, but I will use the others on wide sections of slower moving water.

And with all of them, I use 3-5' leaders with unweighted to heavily weighted flies.

Try buying a polyleader, it will help a good bit on getting your sink right. But that's also why I went to shooting heads, as I get a 30' sinking section to get down.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Other than what you and Skycries 57 have posted, I'm not sure where dem Brats are. I was talking to my dad last week and he had a friend that fished the Bogachial. He said the winter run was really coming in strong down low on the river. My dad seems to think that is the start and they will work their way around the Penn to the Elwah and Dungeness. Then into the Skagit, Stilly and Sky. Instead of going to Rocky Ford, I may haul ass to the Elwah or the Dungeness. I really want Steelhead.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I was out that way on Monday morning as well. Got a couple tugs in one deep slot . . .probably dollies. I was set up with a 15' type III tip, 6 ft. leader to 8lb maxima tippet. The fly that got attention was a sz 4 purple wooly bugger. As I was making the hike back to my car, I saw two guys working the run just below the big bridge/boat launch. Was that you?

Rod

·
Registered
53 Posts

Hi,
I went to Bush Point/Whidbey Is. today. The place is posted tighter than Fort Knox. With the NO FISHING SIGNS every 20 feet or so, the mere fact that I got out of my car probably placed me on the Island County Sexual Preditors List. Back in the car, I drove up to Ebey's Landing and had a wonderful day on the beach. No fish but a wonderful day on the beach.
Roll Cast

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I understand that the only place on Bush Point to access the beach is around the restaurant on the north side of the point.

I haven't actually been there, but I understand that's where the fishing is at. And yes, Bush Point is packed with NO FISHING SIGNS. Poor, pitiful people with beach front property. :bawling

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.