Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
I caught a 7 incher last time i was there, but its my understanding that they are all pretty much hatchery fish. Considering there are two hatcheries on the creek. I think that since it as all c&r and fly fishing only that the fish are able to live longer lives and therefore grow bigger and bigger. But thats just me... :professor

Tyler

Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

·
Registered
23 Posts
The hatchery there is Troutlodge (which is the hatchery that the state buys most of the triploids from for all the lakes around that have those fish) and my understanding is that part of their lease agreement with the state for the (land and water?) is for them to stock the Ford. Few fish are put in very small else they become protien for their big brothers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
when i have seen the hatchery release fish in the ford they are all about 14" the reason why the fish get big is because they eat scuds and scuds have losts of protien they are good food for them to grow very rapidly like a 14" fish turning into a 18" fish in one year and of course that they are released. The ford is just an aquarium with geneticly altered hatchery fish.:beer1

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I have been to RFC a total of one time and all I caught was two fish. One was about 9" and the other was about 12". I've always heard that the creek was a crowded place. Well when I got there there was only one other person there,but after about a hour I left as it was getting crowded. I think there were about 15 people there in the upper area around the bridge and handicap dock. But I did get to drool at all the big fish swimming past me and ignoring my flies.Although the rules say no wading not all people obey that rule.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.