Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lived in Wyoming for most of my life, but climate and changes in job have me looking elsewhere. I love the outdoors of wyoming and the solitude of the open spaces without a billion people. But more and more i am wishing to live somewhere else. We have about 3 months of decent weather, basically have a long winter with a bit of spring and a bit of fall, then winter is here again. Along with the constant high winds, the winds really beat on you mentally and physically. It seems to never stop. I have never visited Washington but i know from what i see and hear about it i would love it. I am booked this summer, but am planning on touring the state next summer. I am married with two young boys. Looking for a smaller town, somewhat close (100) miles to a bigger city. My wife is a NR and i do oil and gas, construction, welding etc.
We love fly fishing and camping, i know washington offers a good amount of this. My question is, if you were in my shoes where in Washington would you live? Close to good fishing and camping, but also has some work to survive. Thanks so much!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I spent the weekend with Panhandle, pretty sure he is serious about recommending Oregon.
As for me, I really like where I live now but having just spent three days on the Yakima...so much to learn, so many miles to fish.
Anywhere with good Puget Sound beach access can really be fun.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
While I love Oregon-especially around the Deschutes and Bend, they have some of the worst unemployment in the nation and it is not likely to get better any time soon. Washington has a lot better job prospects and is equally scenic. For small towns, Wenatchee comes to mind, and although Spokane is a bigger town, it is close to a lot of fishing and hunting. I'm kind of partial to Bellingham (having lived here since 1975) which is a small town but with a major university, which helps a lot. The economy if pretty good here and with your skills, a job at one of the refineries, Alcoa Aluminum, or numerous heavy contractors would be possible. 50 miles to Vancouver and 90 miles to Seattle. Mt Baker for skiing and summertime hiking, good small stream trout fishing, salt water just out the door. Enough with the Chamber of Commerce stuff! Rick

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
In all honesty, the Seattle area will most likely be a bit of a culture shock. I'd check in to the Ellensburg/Cle Elum area, Wenatchee, and possibly Spokane. Tri Cities have been really coming up from what I hear too, but I haven't been there in about... 15yrs. And it was a dump last I remember it.

·
Flyslinger
1,937 Posts
I have spent all my life in Washington and in the construction industry. Looking forward to what is going to happen in the next 20years is a little difficult, the crystal ball is fuzzy. If I were going to move here to Washington I think the work in your skill set will be in the central basin. Tri-cities wil continue to grow the Hanford nuclear reservation will be a big part of the economy for years and years to come. The bio-fuel thing is going to happen and it wll happen in the irrgated land in the basin. Moses Lake is a bright spot for the future also. Just finishing a huge silicon plant there and there will be more. The computer industry loves the dry weather of this area and I think we will see more buildings with a gazillion computers in them visiting each other in cyber space.
There are a lot of beautiful places with 60-80 miles of the Tri-cities and you wont have 8 months of winterthat is for sure.
If you are used to a lot of sunshine in Wyoming you don't want to live west of the Cascades or in the Spokane area there are a lot of gray days. But the basin is sunny year around.
Just my nickles worth, milage may vary.:hmmm:
Blessings
jesse clark

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
Oregon has good fishing but the one thing they'll never have is the Puget Sound beach fishing opportunities.
Once you get bent by some nice src's or big coho off the beach, living far away from the salt wouldn't be an option...at least for me. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Being faced with the same decision almost a year ago, I don't think its as easy as you make it out to be, especially if you depend on a job.

In my situation, I wanted to stay where I was but the local job market didn't pay enough. I then started looking in close proximity to where I was...same thing. I then expanded my job search to those parts of the US that I wouldn't bother moving to. I was offered a job here but honestly the PNW was a ways down on the list of places I wanted to live. In the end though, the pay was good and I'm in a decent area, far enough away from the masses but close enough if need be.

If I had to do it all again, I would most likely do the same. Make a list of where you would want to live and then start applying. Once you receive an offer and decide you want to move there, I would hand in my notice and move.

I think the days of saying "I want to live there", moving "there" and then getting a job are over. IMO in today's situation, you'll have to move where the job is and just hope its somewhere you like.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Say what you will.... it all about the Benjamins. Period. Go where you can support yourself, and whoever else depends on you, from there, work when you must, fish when you can. Just my .03

·
Willing to learn anything...
302 Posts
Oregon, Bend Oregon no doubt in my mind, unles you can find work in Boise.
Washington = rediculous taxes, rediculous meddeling governmont agencies. Terminally silted west side river bottoms with minimal insect habitat. Dwindeling salmon populations with little hope of recovery, too many people, not enough places to camp without a reservation months in advance.......
Lived here for 60 years and have finally had about enough, lloking forward to retiring and moving.

·
YeeeeHaaw
142 Posts
In Washington: Bellingham, Snohomish, Edmond, Hansville, Gig Harbor, Olympia, or Tri Cities. Basically, anywhere except King County.

I too recommend checking out Oregon. I moved here about a year ago and I love it down here. Right now I live west of Portland (Beaverton/Hillsboro area) and the fishing is incredible. I do miss the SRC fishing on Puget Sound, but hooking steelhead usually takes care of that. When the economy in the Bend/Redmond area starts to heal up a bit I would like to move there.

·
2,880 Posts
If you have young kids, I'd make sure you move some place that has solid schools. I'm an educator and with the current economic situation, we're making some fairly major cuts. In states like Oregon that have fairly strong anti-tax sentiments, state and local dollars often aren't available to offset dwindling federal dollars. All schools are suffering, but some more than others. Young kids in huge classes equal disaster. If it was me, I'd look at Clarkston. It's the hub of the best steelhead fishing in the state and there's good big game hunting and the best pheasant hunting in Washington. Lewiston is just across the river and Spokane is 110 miles away. The Blue Mountains are nearby and the Panhandle of Idaho is just across the river. Lewis-Clark State is in town and WSU is 40 mi. away.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow! i was not expecting this much information.
Thanks alot! Oregon is a great suggestion i have considered it to and will now look much more closely at the opportunities.
With my wife being a RN, she can get work anywhere, i guess the big thing would finding something for myself to do.
Hey, Mr mom with a fly rod. JK but sounds nice. Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.