Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

If you had the choice of 2 rivers what one would you go to?

• 10 miles river with 600 wild steelhead catch and release

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • 10 miles river 3000 hatchery steelhead catch and kill

Votes: 11 39.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
More info needed. Would I have whichever river I choose all to myself, or would it be an accessible stream open to all anglers and riff raff? And is it summer run or winter run?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
A chrome steelhead on a remote river, snowcapped peaks, green water, and a nice gravel bar with a run of 3-7' depth dotted with mid sized boulders....... clipped fin or not, count me in.....

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
You'll catch more fish on 600 wild fish than 3000 hatchery fish,
Like most things fishing related, it depends. 600 wild winter runs in a river that is blown out much of the time won't yield many hook ups. Conversely, 3,000 hatchery summer runs in optimal September and October water conditions could produce many hook ups per day, including surface takes. But generally yes, wild steelhead yield more hook ups, about 3 to 1, over their hatchery counterparts.

Good food for thought. At O'dark-thirty tomorrow morning I'm off to a river that averages 8,000 wild summer runs per year.

Sorry Jeremy, we're not doing the WL layover. Joe's a driving maniac, blowing right past WL, going all the way to Nimpo in one day, thence to Hagensborg Saturday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.