Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
No answers huh. Well, correct me if I'm wrong but I use the basic nail-knot.
What knot is used for backing to reel? I wind it twice around the reel then use the basic improved-cinch knot and clip the excess, but that also leaves a little exposed knot while winding.
Anything else out there thats easier,better or more Flush(laying flat)??

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
For the flyline to backing knot I often use the nail knot for lighter fishing, below ten pounds fish. Then above my six weight rig, as in seven weight and higher, I switch to the standing loop. I make a loop about four to six inches maiximum in the end of the flyline by doubling it over. Then I use one or two speedy nail knots for a loop of 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 inches, and three speedy nail knots for larger loops. This is a very strong and clean method. I have also used braided loop connectors in lighter weight rigs with no failures, by looping the flyline to the backing with a standing loop in the backing. I often put a bimini knot in the backing, big enough to slip over the reel and spool for easy changeovers of flylines.That's the strongest lop I know of for stretch and strength. I have heard of a few who use the Albright Knot in the line to backing but I have not used it. I like Mark Sosin and Lefty Kreh's book; Practical Fishing Knots for my knot work.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fish till ya drop.
Then suck it up
and fish the evening hatch.

It's a very sore point with me but I'll answer anyhow. You can easily loose a new line using a properly tied Nail Knot to your backing unless you sufficiently roughed up the surface of your flyline before tying the knot. HAPPENED TO ME. Brought back a nice pigtail of backing with no line attached while fighting a large trout on Nunnally a couple years back.

An easier and surer solution is to use an Albright Knot. Slightly bulkier, but has a positive loop connection rather than just a friction hold.

Oh and backing to reel use an Arbor knot, basically a slip knot.
If you dredge up a 6wt. Wet Cell 3 on Nunnally.....It's mine.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The one Seth showed me at Creekside is the best I have seen. I can't remember the name but you don't need any tools and it is stronger than any nailknot. Only slightly bulkier. Stop by their shop sometime and any on those guys will show you for free.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

I also use the Albright, But my buddy at the fly shop usually installs it. Mike at Teds.. I've never had my line off my reel and into the backing. Maybe it will be a new experince for me to have that happen. I've had some big fish on but I never went that deep in the reel.

Jim

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
I've been using the Cortland braided loop on the fly line with a bimini loop on the backing. They told me on this forum to use nailknots on the braided loops, not the heat shrink tubes, so that's what I've been doing lately. I guess the super kevlar loops are even stronger, but I haven't tried them.

A big bimini loops tapers real small under tension and the linked loops run out the guides better than nailknots or Albrights for me. And it makes switching lines a snap. Well, an elongated snap that takes five minutes of cranking on the line winder.

The Cortland braided loops are supposedly for the leader end, but I hated the way the "clear" ones would shine as if florescent in the sun. The first thing I'd see coming in was that bright white loop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.