Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just moved here, I'm thinking of buying the DeLorme's book as I have had for other states but DeLorme has failed me a couple of times on its accuracy. Any impressions of the other (can't remember who publishes it) mapbook that's often sold alongside the DeLorme's (e.g. at REI).

Thanks.

· Mother Nature's Son
1,344 Posts
I think that the DeLorme's are pretty good and have one for each of the western states. As you've mentinoed, there are some items that may not be quite as accurate as you would want but I haven't found a better source. If you want to drill down you have to go with a USGS map but it is my understanding that much of the USGS maps were produced in the 60's and needless to say, things have changed.

What I'd like to find is an equivalent map/atlas for Canada? Does anybody have any good suggestions?

Skinny

· Just an Old Man
35,200 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

There is another map out there of Washington State. It is put out by Benchmark Maps,called Washington Road & Recreation Atlas. I use both of these maps when I'm out and about. If one doesn't have it the other one does. And what I like best of this map is that when you go from page to page one doesn't end and another one start they kinda over lap the edges so you can see where you left off. All of the stores have them.

Jim

· jabs
1,114 Posts
I have both the Delorme and the other one which I just picked up recently. What I like about the other one (name escapes me) it published in the NW which may have more accurate info. Delorme is published form the East coast. I fin that I use the new (other than Delorme) more, but often get both out since a majority of my notes are in the Delorme. Can't go wrong with either.

· Registered
59 Posts
Skinny,
Like you, I'd like to find a Canadian equivalent to DeLorme's products in the U.S. So far, I haven't found one. The best I have been able to come up with is BC Fishing's "Freshwater Directory & Atlas" published by BC Outdoors. It is updated annually, and I just picked up the 2003 edition at Sportco for $9.97.
Also, many sporting goods stores in BC offer very good topo maps produced by the government.
If anyone knows of software for Canada anything similar to DeLorme's Street Atlas U.S.A., I'd like to hear about it.

WF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.