Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of fish approx. 14-15" size on N.F.Stilly, and some of them looks bigger. I thought they was 1-salt hatchery steelhead, but one guy who was fishing nearly told me it's a whitefish! Easy to observe from old railroad bridge near
Cicero. They moving slowly in pools and looks like bottom-feeding

·
Registered
32 Posts
These fish can also be suckers. There are a lot of them on the NF. In some pools, you can observe 50 to one hundred of them. They are hard to catch on a fly but I managed to catch one last time (and not snagged). Unlike withefish, they won't move to take your fly, the nymph has to be on the bottom, going right in their mouth.

Vincent

·
Registered
88 Posts
Whitefish can be a lot of fun on a fly rod, especially when the trout won't come out and play. I usually catch em on size 10-14 BH Pheasant tails, but huge size 6 black nyphs work well. Once, during a BWO hatch on the Yakima, I was surprised to find that the risers were in fact whitefish, and I took almost 20 on tiny dries! I've never seen any whitefish on the NF, but I have encountered plenty on the upper Quinault, the Snoqualimie, the Sanpoil, the Kettle, and the Naches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.