Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and gals,

I was looking around at purchasing a new rod. I know that Orvis, Temple Fork Outfitters and St Croix all have no-fault warranties.

I looked at Sage today, which I always wanted to get one and was thinking about the txl 000wt to a 1wt but it appears to me that they have a limited life time warrenty and not a no fault one.

Me knowing that at some point I'll snap one in the car door, on a tree or something else like that ... I think its safer for me to stick with a no fault warrenty. I personally don't like the ideal of spending 500+ on a rod that if its my fault for breaking it, its not covered.

All this to get to my point, other than the ones I've listed above what are some good rods I should look at with no fault warranties on them?

Also I am looking for a very light weight rod, like a 1wt at least 7' with a slow to moderate action. Thought about taking the plunge on an Orvis 1wt superfine rod but am looking for what my possible alternatives are before I purchase anything.

I've cast the Orvis, TFO's and St Croix's but really don't know anything about any other rods.

Your suggestions are most appreciated,

Dan

·
Registered
740 Posts
you have it wrong about sage. They have a $50. dollar shipping and handling fee on any broken rod. That is all they charge. If you can some how take it to the factory it is free of charge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you have it wrong about sage. They have a $50. dollar shipping and handling fee on any broken rod. That is all they charge. If you can some how take it to the factory it is free of charge.
Great to hear. Guess I didn't finish reading it or misread or something ... that gives me another option.

Still looking to hear of others if anyone knows of any.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Orvis has a good warranty- a good single hander and a crappy two [email protected]$r. Just thinking out loud.
Yeah I have has experience twice with Orvis. Once on the top half of a rod I dropped off into the bottom of a lake and couldn't retrieve and the other time with a $50 pair of sunglasses.

Both times I just returned them to my store and both times within a week I had new ones at the shop waiting on me. No hassles and excellent quick good service.

I don't have a thing in the world to say bad about any of these rods I've listed above ... I was just looking trying to find out what else there is out there.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I have had very good service from TFO, Sage, Redington and Orvis. I have heard very good things about Loomis, Echo and St. Croix. I have had slow service but nice quality repair work from Scott and Winston. I have only my personal experience to base my opinion on, but I'll tell you that right now in my quiver I have Sage, Orvis, TFO, Echo, Loomis and St. Croix rods. Having Sage and Redington in the neighborhood inspires confidence.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I often wonder how the rod industry got itself stuck with such a silly policy as these warranties. Now people are saying "Well I'm not going to buy something if someone won't replace it if it's my fault for breaking it".

If I were a rod company, I would say "Screw this, what ever happened to personal responsibility? you get a manuf defect warranty and a reasonable part replacement policy. That's all."

No wonder rods cost $500.

And as a point of clarification, I'm not holding myself up any higher. The warranty is there and I would use it even if it was my fault. I just can't imagine how the companies got suckered into offering something so foolish.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
No wonder rods cost $500.....I just can't imagine how the companies got suckered into offering something so foolish.
I can't help but think that adds a $100+ cost to each rod. I don't think they got suckered but you have to wonder the wisdom of such a policy. I've only broken one rod ever and it was an inexpensive Eagle Claw rod which Eagle Claw replaced for nothing but I obviously wouldn't have been too put out if they hadn't covered it under their limited warranty. And despite the diminutive stature of Eagle Claw rods, I've found their Customer Service to be outstanding over the years.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Most of my rods are Sage. I bought some new and some used. I have broken many of them once and several of them two or more times. All but one of the breaks occured while fishing. The most fun occured with Joe Willower on the Boggie; my 8 wt XP simply exploded as we were landing a chrome bright steelhead. We got the fish but the rod broke in three places. Sage has fixed them all. When I have picked them up at the factory they didn't charge me. Otherwise I have paid a modest shipping charge.

Derek is right. With the customer service I have received from Sage, I am a very loyal customer.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Make sure the model you are getting is in their policy. I own an older St Croix Imperial travel rod. The tip top fell off. I called them up asking if I needed to send it in to keep it under warranty. Apparently, some changes were made where my rod was no longer under the warranty plan, infact they were only honoring the Legend model at the time. So I glued it back on. Love the rod though, it's great. Redington is owned by Sage. They too only honor the no fault earranty on specific rods. It pays to buy premiums.

As for the cost on rods, it's the market. We pay high end for high end products. Engineering, advertisement, the nice lady on the phone that helps us when we need to claim the warranty, the trade shows, and remember that these companies also sponsor programs for education and habitat. The deductible covers the rod itself. My Redington was $60 to replace and ship back to me. I would guess the components on these rods only cost them around $30 a pop. They buy everything in bulk so the cost per blank is ridiculously low. Look at it this way, go buy a regular 2 x 4 from a home depot and it's around $2.39. Buy a bunk (144) from a lumber yard and it's around $1.50 a stud and the lumber yard is still makingnear a $1 a stud.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
I think rod companies should take another look at this. With all you crazy weighted clouser fly fishers chasing coho around and "slamming" your fly into your rod, no wonder they frigging break! One nick will do it! And for those of you who slam them in your door, I think a company should just offer a "reasonable" discount. By doing so would cut the prices of rods down I would think. It won't be long until China and Korea are cranking out rods as good as a good Sage or Orvis. In fact, they probably are, but I don't own that many rods to tell you or have tried them.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
I think rod companies should take another look at this. With all you crazy weighted clouser fly fishers chasing coho around and "slamming" your fly into your rod, no wonder they frigging break! One nick will do it! And for those of you who slam them in your door, I think a company should just offer a "reasonable" discount. By doing so would cut the prices of rods down I would think. It won't be long until China and Korea are cranking out rods as good as a good Sage or Orvis. In fact, they probably are, but I don't own that many rods to tell you or have tried them.
Funny you should say that Larry about china & Korea. My uncle was recently over from Korea, apparently the fly market there is also heavily marked up. He didn't know much about what the rods were that are being used, but most of them are AMERICAN made or at least the blanks are. I will give him a shout and ask him to get some brand names. I know the Tenkara style rods in korea are around $200+ a pop, but they require a ton of wraps and some personal touches to make right. Must have something to do with the blank originally being 15 feet, cut into 10 - 14 pieces and put back together.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Some of the best rods are made with American blanks but wrapped overseas. The wrapping and finish is obviously what takes the time and the labor is cheaper. With the warranties what they are, any savings helps. That said, I always look at the warranty when I buy anything. Paying a bit more for a warranty pays off in the long run whether you break a rod on a fish or step on it.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
What Mike said (in his first post). These warranties have nothing to do with the price of the rod. You, me and simple economics decide that. The mfr's didn't get suckered into anything...you and I want to pay a certain price for a certain product, then we want occasional repair/replacement of said product because "life happens" and why buy a new rod every time...and we're willing to pay 30-50 bucks for the priviledge. And as Mike says, the mfr's aren't exactly going broke over it. Yeah, they build margin into warranty work like everything else and they should. We all win. Oh, and if not for warranties we'd all be buying used rods and mfr's would be forced to compete with that...and before that starts sounding like a good idea, consider what you and I will pay and what we'll get for that. We all lose. Anyhow, on the original subject, I wouldn't change a thing about owning an echo...I got what I wanted, paid what I wanted, and have the priviledge of no fault, fast, friendly repair/replacement at 35 bucks a pop...a price I'm willing to pay.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm a recent new member of the car door club. Sent my never registered rod to them with $50 and in 30 days it was back...new, seat, cork, guides everything.... time included shipping from AZ and back. Very friendly and helpful. Was such a good experience I ALMOST want to do it again....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.