Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got the lowdown on the true beginning of this technique??
When, who ,what river system ??

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think Skagit casting has evolved and has had multiple "influencers". Only to mention a few that come to mind, Jimmy Green, Marlow Bumpas, Harry Lemire, Ed Ward, Dec Hogan, Scott O'Donnell, Mike McCune, Mike Kinney.........................................................................................................................................................................

I think Ed coined the term if I am not mistaken in an article for the GGAC?

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
I've heard all kinds of names... To add onto floatinghat... John farrar, George cook, bob aid, John hazel...........on and on..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I forget his name right at the moment but the guy who built the first Skagit lines that Dec Hogan talks about in his book. That is who I would give credit to. Dec taught O'Donnell and Ed Ward how to cast ;)

·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought he invented Global warming !!
Hey, Spaz, say hi to salmo for me would ya !! :):):)

·
startup ben
3 Posts
i have never posted before but have read for years and all above are stone cold fisherman but none donate the time and effort of mike kinney hes a innovator of so much other than skagit casting. He's a teacher to your style of casting.

·
still an authority on nothing
2,194 Posts
I thought he invented Global warming !!
Hey, Spaz, say hi to salmo for me would ya !! :):):)
no, Al Gore invented internet speyfishermen! My mistake. Thanks for setting that straight.

Real skagit casting...now that sprang forth fully formed from the head of Zeus.
I think that's what Salmo_G said, he was there drinking aquavit with Jimmy Green when it happened. I think there were aliens involved too, unless I'm getting my conspiracy theories mixed up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My guess is many have had a hand in Skagit casting history ...

... But it's pretty much understood within the two handed community that none have personally given more hands-on <> One-on-one education on Skagit casting theory and technique then Mike Kinney.

And I agree with Obe-Wan <> In regards to Mikes influence and innovations given to the two handed community: Skagit casting and technique are just the tip of the ice burg of Mike's overall knowledge that he has unselfeshly shared with many of us.

Myself included ...

Meiz

·
Registered
321 Posts
What type of Skagit casting? The most anal of the Skagit casters is Ed Ward, technique wise he is among the most precise and consistent casters I have ever met. Skagit casting isn't casting a Skagit line with "Skagit type casts" Most people I see Skagit casting are mixing it with touch and go where they load the rod from the inertia in the line and it's movement.

Skagit casting draws it's power " loads the rod" through water resistance. IE' draging they line off/thru the tension of the water.

To add to the list for the Oregon guys- Mark Bachmann, Tyler Thomas, Brian Silvey.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
It is with a bit of trepidation that I say this. Like what do I know? I'm a relative newcomer to this stuff. But, IMHO, I suspect there were a hand full of guys from that area who were in on this Skagit thing from the beginning. And keep in mind it didn't happen overnight. It took a while to iron out all the kinks. But if you were to re-phrase the question as who most refined, most defined, most anything else related to Skagit casting, a lot of those names would fall by the way side until only a few were left. Ones that kept coming up over & over & over again. And it sure as hell wouldn't be Al Gore.

·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, I don't know... That algore invented the internet, global warming , why not he as the "Mother of all skagit casters" !!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.