Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are probably a dozen or more reasons I can think of that makes me glad that my local fly shop is around. My hours sometimes keep me from making it there as often as I'd like to, but if I need something I call Bill and he'll work with me. Today I went there right before closing to pick up some of the "I Keep Them All Fly Swap" flies that Kerfwappie tied up. We both live local to the shop but since we had been playing phone tag he dropped them off at Peninsula Outfitters knowing I'd go there to collect the flies. Upon arriving and seeing E's flies (another amazing set of flies by the way) I told Bill that I had a bit of a problem. You see, I explained, I've only gotten flies from about half of the participants in this generosity swap and already I think I've got over 70 flies in hand. He replied "You need some fly boxes?". Here is a guy running a small shop, probably with a number of repeat customers and who knows how many passing through and trying to keep it all going in this economy. He goes to the back of the shop, grabbed a broken down cardboard box about the size of a wading boot box, folded it back together and filled it with a dozen fly boxes. A dozen fly boxes. Half small boxes and half large ones.

I'm sure that you all are grateful for your local shop if you have one. I certainly am glad that I'm in the Peninsula Outfitter's neighborhood and hope they remain successful enough to outfit my two girls when they are ready to take their old man fishing.

I'd like to say thank you to all my virtual and real friends for giving so wonderfully for the fly swap and to Bill for being so gracious.

Why do you like your local fly shop?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Sounds like you have a good shop in Peninsula Outfitters. That is a great resource.

I tend to bounce around between a few fly shops but haven't felt really at home in any of them. That is most likely because I don't visit any one of them often so they don't really know me. I should probably pick the one I like best and stick with them. It is hard when the nearest shop is 35 mins one way from home and closes at 5 pm. I don't fault them it just makes it hard to get there. I tend to change my fly patterns when I don't have the "correct" supplies or tie up my own tapered leaders rather than run to the shop to get what I really want. I could make the run on the weekends but if I have a few spare hours on the weekend I tend to run to the river which I can be on and fishing in 20 minutes from home.

·
331 Posts
Yeah all the guys down at Penninsula Outfitters are great guys, they're friendly, knowledgeable and always eager to help you out. Now, If we could only talk Bill into putting in a few barstools and microbrews on tap, I'd be there three or four times a week. Think about it, we could drink beer, talk story, and tie flies.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
While I miss having a new Cabela's just a few miles down the road, Orvis in Bellevue more than makes up for it especially with someone as top-shelf as Leland behind the helm of the fly shop. While Orvis isn't what I would call local, everything I order from Leland has gotten to me in a day or two and sometimes hand delivered. I'm just glad they are across the Sound because if they were within easy driving distance, I'd be hearing it from my wallet and wifey.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well I live where there is no fly shops close. It is a super bummer, but I manage. Glad to hear about the fly boxes. My wimpy poppers dont look so hot compared to some of the other flies, but it is a contribution none the less....

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
In the past few months, I've been dropping by Patrick's Fly Shop on Eastlake for all of my fly tying needs. When I first started tying recently, Jimmy and John have gone far and beyond to help me get started on tying material. It's on my route from drive home from work so often its a quick pitstop to pick up some stuff and I know I have a few of the most reliable and knowledgable guys if I have any questions.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm sure that you all are grateful for your local shop if you have one. I certainly am glad that I'm in the Peninsula Outfitter's neighborhood and hope they remain successful enough to outfit my two girls when they are ready to take their old man fishing.

Yes, please don't take your local fly shop for granted!!! I'm with Camo Clad, there is nothing up north here. Just recently, I needed two simple fly materials to pick up. Red bucktail and yellow yarn. I went to Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor, Holiday Sports in Burlington, Yeagers in Bellingham, Sportsman or Wholesale whatever in Burlington. I got desperate, looking for stores that I knew carried some flyfishing gear but man, they don't even come close to a fly shop. I'm not knocking these places and I just went to them since I was nearby anyway but I really envy you guys who have a local fly shop to hang out in and get service. I've resorted to phone orders to Puget Sound Fly company and now Pennisula Outfitters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
as we all know, it is vital to our interest to support the shops in our area. I know i make sure to spend my hard earned dollars on the flies, tippets, and tying materials in our area. While there are great online resources, it is the small guy that we must look out for.

·
Often visitor to the Evergreen State.
12 Posts
Why I like my local fly shop…

…because when I decided to "treat" myself to a better, upgraded rod, the shop owner spent a couple of hours rigging up various rods and allowed me to cast each one in the back alley. He let me spend at least 20 minutes with each rod. We talked about what "fast" or "slow" might mean, as well as "mid flex" vs. "full flex" vs. "tip flex." I tried four-piece and five-piece rods, some with line one wt. heavier than the rod rating. It didn't matter that I don't have the most beautiful loops. We talked about where I fish and what I fish for, and my usual style. I even got some free casting advice.

Most importantly, I was left alone to make my own decision. Opposed to being told what I needed to fish the way I should, I was encouraged to find what "felt" right to fish the way I do.

I hope my shop will be there down the road when I want to make that next upgrade.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
When I lived in Washington, I used to hang out at AATF in Monroe. I used to spend a little there and get a lot from the owner. Now that I'm in Montana I just can't seem to find that friendly fly shop.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
When I lived in Washington, I used to hang out at AATF in Monroe. I used to spend a little there and get a lot from the owner. Now that I'm in Montana I just can't seem to find that friendly fly shop.
OM, the folks at Frontier Anglers in Dillon are great, but I suppose their shut down for the off season?

·
1,411 Posts
Here is a guy running a small shop, probably with a number of repeat customers and who knows how many passing through and trying to keep it all going in this economy. He goes to the back of the shop, grabbed a broken down cardboard box about the size of a wading boot box, folded it back together and filled it with a dozen fly boxes. A dozen fly boxes. Half small boxes and half large ones.
I'd like to say thank you to all my virtual and real friends for giving so wonderfully for the fly swap and to Bill for being so gracious.
How cool is that?!
Ed PM sent..

·
Pat Coleman
127 Posts
My wife found Lost Creek Fly Shop in Onalaska this past summer. We had to replace a few flies and tying supplies, and I wasn't too excited making the two hour drive to Olympia to get them. It's turned out to be a good find. The guy there has been extremely helpful. He's always got something new to try out (we spent an hour on the lawn trying out some new line) and he's the nicest guy you'll ever meet. Any tying question I have, he'll sit right down and show me. If he doesn't have it stock he'll order it. He fishes the Cowlitz all the time and always the report on the local water. That's what I like about my local fly shop, good service, good selection, and local knowledge of the water I fish.

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
My local fly shop is the Redshed, though it's 6 hrs away...
No one is better than Poppy at all things spey and customer service... He bend's over backwards to hook up customers with there gear, and if he ships , it arives fast...
Hard to beat man ...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
I love all my local fly shops.

I just purchased a cheap Ross Worldwide Reel from my local shop. I paid $50.00 for it when I could have gotten it or $30.00 from Cabella's.

Why did I give the purchase to my local guys? -3 words - Great Local Service

I know times are hard right now and I would hate to see my local fly shops go away.

I love being able to touch, feel and play with all the things I cannot afford right now.

G

·
My guy closed on the Skagit he was a good guy and I find that AATF is a killer place and I have tried a few out, those guys are straight shooters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.