Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the fascination with photographing rattle snakes? You know how to avoid getting bit? LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Everytime time I see a picture of a rattle snake (esp a close up) I can't help but think the person must love the thrill of getting bit?

So next time you hear that rattle just walk away. Put away the camera....

·
It's all good.....
393 Posts
What is the fascination with photographing rattle snakes? You know how to avoid getting bit? LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Everytime time I see a picture of a rattle snake (esp a close up) I can't help but think the person must love the thrill of getting bit?

So next time you hear that rattle just walk away. Put away the camera....
Ok, and while we're at it....let's stop taken pictures of bikes....they scare the hell out of me :p

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I'm scared of my avatar and I see it everywhere. I like the photos people take and I hope they continue to take them...safely.

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
Unless you're dumb enough to use a macro lens, or you fall on your ass getting close to take the shot, I appreciate the photos. Now, if someone wants to start a thread of "snake stories" I've had several interesting encounters.There was the time I picked up a road killed rattlesnake, except it wasn't road killed...And then there was this time in the Okeefenokee swamp and I had to remove the five foot eastern diamondback from the boardwalk so the tourists could escape. Then there was the time...

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Never killed a Rattler even tho I got tagged by one when I was a kid setting posts back in Montana (my fault . . . LOOK before reaching). They keep the rodent population down; I'd rather get snake-bit than contract Hantavirus (tho my preference would be to avoid both.). I've lived on the dry side for 30-years and have seen damn few, unless I went looking for them (for photos, of course . . . sorry). Good Philosophy:On hot, sunny days, walk on the sunny side of the rock/bush/cover; on cool, sunny days, walk on the shaded side . . . you'll likely not encounter many buzz-tails. Unless shedding & virtually blind, their preference is to get away. if Rattlers get you skittish, don't even consider high mountain lakes in the Bob Marshall . . . those critters can definitely "leave a mark" . . .

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
in regards to hantavirus, i would def rather get bit by a snake too! when i was hiking the grand gulch the only thing i was worried about was hanta. what a nasty nasty nasty virus.

ive only seen a handful of snakes living in eastern wa my whole life. def not scared of them but i do respect em :)

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Respect: Key concept, Dustin . . . one can rarely go wrong with that philosophy. At 62-years-young, I've learned to respect (and consequently avoided injury by/from) a LOT of things, all of which could have caused me harm. As for the natural inhabitants of the great outdoors, wherever we may roam . . . they were there first . . . we're but intruders. Be righteously cautious and respectful, but enjoy seeing the residents. As Wilfred Brimley said in a western movie line (Tom Selleck made-for-TV flick I believe, can't recollect the title but need to acquire that DVD someday): "It leads to a much more harmonious outcome." Gotta go . . . old time R&R tunes on the radio are sounding pretty good & one of the guitars beckon . . .

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I was raised in the Walla Walla area on a farm out in the sticks. Saw plenty of rattlers most before they saw me. However, I've never killed a rattle snake. The rattle snakes in our area of the world are non aggressive. They will bite but if you use common sense they will leave you alone and conscentrate on small rodents. Leave them alone and let them do their job.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
While you're at it, taking pics of bears isn't real smart, especially when they have their cubs with them. Some of the footage of dumbasses in Yellowstone taking pictures from 10 feet away is insane. Get back in your mini-van and move on.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
While seeing creatures in the wild is the thing to do from your car. Since I've been here in Montana, I have seen many different wild things. But I have yet to see a Rattlesnake. I want to but from a distance. I have seen a big garter snake but no rattlers as of yet. But then again, I ain't gonna go out of my way to look for any either.

·
Flyfishing is so "Metal"
687 Posts
I like snakes a lot... I don't get over to the dry side that often but if I came across one I would most certainly open up the photo shoot. I don't see why standing 10' away from a snake that can't bite me from that distance or slither faster than I can walk would be particularly dangerous to photograph. Hell I'm nearly as passionate about the well being of the Pacific Rattler as I am about the Steelhead...

·
Team Umiak
410 Posts
Been here on the dry side now for 18 years with only one rattler siting..on a trail along the Tieton. No prob for either of us. My aversion is the frickin ticks..hate those little bastard.

·
youngish old guy
369 Posts
They're fine when not in the house. I had to kill one in my basement, that was not cool. Also I don't like when there's one in the middle of the trail and when you try to go around you find his buddy/mate. Also they freak me out in the orchard because I'm usually looking up. Other than that I don't mind them but at the house where I used to live in Wenatchee where the basement incident occurred they would reach crazy population densities in late summer when the sage hills were all sun scorched, I'd see a few a week within feet of the house and that got old. My roomate's cat got nailed, and while he lived his head looked like a basketball. One day a guy who grew up in the house came by and told me how his beloved golden retriever was killed by one and showed where he was buried. Sometimes I'd come home to find my dogs barking their heads off because a snake was in the yard. So yeah, I have killed a few of the big ones around that house. I feel guilty but they were a safety concern.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.