Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Tidewater Enthusiast
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why don't more folks use landing nets for SRC in the salt???? Thoughts????

It seems that "grab the tippet and let the fish bounce around in my lap for 30 seconds" is a very common way to deal with SRC these days.... eye witness accounts mostly... thanks in advance

·
Tidewater Enthusiast
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DISCLAIMER: Been using a net in the salt for only about 6 years now.... do not have the chops to say that ST is a master of ethical fish handling.... many many bank landed fish in my days.... no doubt....

However.... given recent trends in wild SRC preservation and management.... why do some choose NOT to use a net in saltwater when wading in the shallows for these little pearls of Oncorhynchus joy anyone??

Cost of net???? Too bulky????

We see shit loads of stripping baskets to make it better on the fisherman but what about an additional bit o' gear to make it easier on the fish themselves....

P.S. Maybe the best approach here is to first post How Many People Use Nets in the Salt.... but for some odd reason I am not that interested in polls these days.... tight lines!!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't fish for cutties that often but I wouldn't use a net. Land the fish in knee deep water by grabbing the tippet, pull the fly out. Fish never touches anything but water.

That said you need to be ok with the fact that you're not likely to get any good photos this way. If you have to get hero shots use a good rubber net.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I use a net in the kayak so I don't fall in. Fishing from the beach I don't use a net. Never had any fish flopping around for 30 seconds. Grab leader, wet hand, cradle fish, unhook, release. No issues there. Occasionally take a quick pic of a fish, I've got a waterproof camera that is always easy to get to.

Have been thinking about getting a net just in case I hook into @The Quan 's fish. :eek:

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
I don't fish for cutties that often but I wouldn't use a net. Land the fish in knee deep water by grabbing the tippet, pull the fly out. Fish never touches anything but water.

That said you need to be ok with the fact that you're not likely to get any good photos this way. If you have to get hero shots use a good rubber net.
I tend to agree with this. I have zero issue releasing fish without touching them if I don't want a picture.

That said I carry a net because I love me some hero shots.

I'm a pretty high class guy so I pack a 20 dollar Cortland net from Walmart

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Since the softer rubber mesh nets have become available, and are being improved rapidly, they are gaining a following. It is not uncommon to see people beach fishing with these nets now. I have a long handled one for use in my dory on the saltchuck. For walk and wade fishing I still generally do without the net. Almost all of the fish that we catch get released with no handling.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I use a rubber mesh net when fishing from my kayak or a boat. For beach fishing, I use a Ketchum Release tool. The large K&R model is wide enough to remove flies with beads & eyes. With a little practice, it's easy to quickly release the fish without touching them or removing them from the water. I also smash the barbs on my hooks with pliers, and do a "shirt pocket test" to make sure the hook will come out easily.

I don't take pictures of fish, but if I did, I'd use a net.

Tom

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
You can do whatever you're more comfortable with. After growing up river fishing with no net, I continued that when I moved here. I wouldn't say I have any problems releasing fish without one. Still I have started using a net while beach fishing (and river fishing), and it would be tough for me to make an argument that I can land and release fish quicker without one. Some won't agree because they've always done it "their way," but I think that a net used properly is the quickest and safest way to land a fish, especially a large one. I don't take many pictures of fish, but if I want to it's clearly easier and safer for the fish to take one in a net than the beach-the-fish-but-it's-still-wet method.

I have some cheap long handled wood one with a rubber net. It's ok but I'm going to add a nicer/lighter one to my Christmas list this year. I carry it tucked between my sling pack and back. I don't even notice it while fishing, but it's a slight hassle when I need to use the sling pack. I haven't come up with any clever alternatives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always used a net for src. When the fish is in the net I keep the fish submerged in the water and I find the fish calms down quickly; it's then easy for me to pull the fly hook out. When the fish is in the net there's no longer tension on the leader/fly which is easier on the fish's mouth etc. as opposed to fighting a fly under tension w/o a net. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.