Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
316 Posts
From the text of your message, I feel your intentions of this post were to brag a little - #1 regarding the size of the fish and #2 the fact you know the location of the "secret" pristine river. As you can see from most of the posts, the majority want to know why you had this fish out of the water, up on the bank and more than likely, killed a "wild" bow.

I looked at the picture and recognized the rod and reel as being very similar to my one of Orvis rods and reels. I feel that your measurement might have been a little generous. I would say that the fish is more like a 13-14" fish. Still a nice fish and it would have look even nicer if you had been holding just above the river with the intent of letting it go so someone else could have caught it when it did reach 18" !!

Just my opinion!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

· Registered
418 Posts
Greg, you rock! That is exactly what I was thinking.

Listen, real fly fishers catch fish for their OWN enjoyment, not others. With such a mindset, you can make the most of any fishery and appreciate things like tiny brookies in quiet alpine lakes, big rainbows in a desert surrounded by the sounds of black birds, or a secret bog that produces healthy coastal cuts and cattails that sway gently in a breeze. Flyfishing is an all-inclusive experience where you appreciate the fish for where they live and that they are surviving--and from time to time you catch big fish.
Regardless, the full experience is yours to commit to memory.

Take your show-and-tell elsewhere.

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)
:SAD

· Registered
250 Posts
Sorry, i didn't think i was bragging. To get to the comment on catch and release. No i didn't harvest this bow, i released him right after i took the picture. Some of us don't have fishing partners to take a picture of us as we catch the fish. I was on vacation and thought i could gather a few memories of the trip(this was one of three trout photos i took on the trip). As for the length it was around 17.5 inches and caught it on a Sage(not an orvis). I just wanted to post one of my rare good catches. I didn't think everyone would get hurt and nitpick me on every level.
Dunno if I'm gonna come back to this discussion board. :SAD

~Ryan

· Registered
471 Posts
I hate to say it but you brought the flames upon yourself by making a clearly braggard post. There is no information in your post that would be of any use to anyone on this board ie what: State, county, river, fly, time of year, or any other usefull info on catching a fish.

Here's my flame:

You say "only 18 inches" like thats a small fish. I fish a lot (100+ days a year) on lots of rivers including as you say some "pristine" blue ribbon streams in places like MT, OR, CO, MI, and WA (although blue ribbon in WA is dif than other states) and I can tell you 18" fish are not a run of the mill rainbow in most cases. So don't be so smug.

Learn to practice proper CnR.

If the memory is for you why do you need a picture? I can close my eyes and see some of my best fish anytime I want.

Buy a net if you fish alone and need a picture to prove you caught it. The fish will thank you for taking its picture in the net while still in the water.
:MAD

· Patrick
1,792 Posts
Nice fish and the fish will be just fine guys as long as it was kept in the water for a minute or two at rest before being laid on the bank for the photo. The grass and weeds protect the fish from the rough dirt and rocks and as such helps to protect the fish. Its even better if the grass or weeds are wet and the thicker the better. Make sure there are no twigs or thorn type plants in the area you plan to lay the fish. Never lay the fish on a rock or in sand or dirt. As long as the fish had a minute or two to regain it O2 supply you can remove it for a quick photo without harm. Now if the fish was laid into the dirt or was not allowed to breath first then the fish may not survive. The trick is to leave the fish in the net in the water while you get the camera ready. Figure out the angle and all before removing the fish from the water then take the fish out of the water quickly snap the photo and put the fish back in gently in slow moving water. Revive the fish as you would if you did not remove for photo. In this way I use, the fish is only out of the water for 15 or so seconds. Do not assome that just because someone takes a photo of the fish they did not take care of following a good release. :TSKTSK

· Registered
533 Posts
Ryan,

Keep on posting as this too will pass. Very nice fish and thanks for the picture. I'm sure you took it very fast and did your best to get it into the drink.

And to my friends on this forum. I think that the gentle art of persuasion is sometimes quite lacking in some of us. How many people in the fishing world are there who do not even fish with flies? Let me tell you it is a large number.

If the objective is to help save wild trout and salmon runs I do not think it helps to utterly flame a young man who is possibly just getting into our sport. Instead I am quite happy and excited for anyone who discovers the joys of fishing with a flyrod.

There are many fine people experiencing the wonders of nature on a stream or lake and guess what, lots of them are fishing with worms and eggs or pulling on their oars with a hotshot on the end of nice rod with a Penn reel. Are they any less entitled to be outside on a fine rainy day?

For crying out loud folks, sometimes with your castigation of people you don't know and your leaps to judgement you make fly fisherman out to be the biggest damn bunch of snobs in the world. I do not think it helps at all.

Mark

· Registered
216 Posts
Ryan: No need to leave the board forever. A few of these guys were just sharing their opinions. Take the input you've received and go from there. No one's perfect, and misunderstandings are just part of life.

Despite someone's statement that "real fly fishers catch fish for their OWN enjoyment, not others" (which is no doubt true for most of us, probably you included), the fact of the matter is this: You're not the first guy to post a "hero shot" -- in one form or another, whether the fish is resting in the grass or being cradled in an angler's hands -- right here on this discussion board. Heck, a guy catches a nice fish and wants to share his excitement with others who can appreciate a nice fish. I don't see anything wrong with that. In this instance, I get the feeling you didn't mean to sound like you were bragging -- you were just trying to share your excitement. Your motives were probably just misinterpeted. I think the critical responses you received here had more to do with people's concern for the fish's well-being than anything else, which is indicative of the passion that the guys on this board have for fishing and fish. Which is a good thing, because passionate anglers make for good stewards of the resource in most instances.

Enjoy your weekend, and don't let a little cyber-misunderstanding like this one bother you. Life's too short.

· Registered
250 Posts
If anyone wants to know, i caught this fish on the South Platte, in Colorado. I probably shouldn't of said small fish, although it was one of my biggest on the platte, it was miniscule compared to some of the fish that are caught in the platte yearly. Sorry for offending anyone with this post, i had no idea this would turn into such a big controversy. :HMMM

~Ryan

· Registered
1,643 Posts
"Real" fly fishers don't take pictures (i.e., no show and tell), huh? I'm sure that may come as somewhat of a surprise to quite a few fly anglers, including many who could outfish you and everyone of us on this board and whose pictures we see all the time holding their catch (Teeny, Whitlock, Lefty, etc., etc.). Sparse, not sure what puts you in the unique position of telling the entire community what the "real" fly fishing experience is. It's different for everyone, and for some it means snapping a picture every once in a while.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm not sure what the regs are on the South Platte, but if someone wants to take a picture of a nice, legally caught fish and share it with me, the only reasonable response I can think of to that is: Thank you.

Every one of us killed a few fish this year, intentionally or unintentionally; that is the inevitable consequence of catching fish. Most of us tried our best not to kill most or any of them, and so I've got no beef when one of us goes ahead and kills one or two (as long as it was legal, and/or the fish wasn't from a threatened population), either because he wanted to eat it, or because he wanted to show it off. (If you really believe vanity has no place in fishing; well, I have absolutely no idea what to say to that.)

I've got a lot more patience with a chap taking a picture or two a year in an "improper" pose, than guys who "inform" us (not bragging, no, never) about the 20 or 30 or 50 trout they "properly" released (killing 2 or 3 or 5; I don't care how good they looked when they swam away). Or guys who think it's OK to fish anywhere for anything anytime because they always practice "proper" c&r.

When we catch fish, some of them die; deal with that and be responsible about it. If we're worried about it, some of us might do better considering a little more carefully how many and what kind of fish we hook and where we do it, rather than picking on somebody for MAYBE killing one rainbow (from a drainage where they're not even native).

Again, thanks for the picure. And stick around, most of us really like it here on this board; I'm sure you will too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.