Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty new to the spokane area, as well as the sport, and was wondering if anyone knows of any good places to go fish this winter. I only know of the spokane, little spokane and colville rivers that are open. Anything would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ty

·
Registered
9 Posts
There aren't too many options in the Spokane area this time of year. I spend a lot of time on the downriver sections of the Spokane(landed a 17" rainbow yesterday). It's a challenging river but fishable during the winter. Other options are 4th of July Lake and Hog Canyon Lake. Both have good fishing and may not be iced over yet. Also Rocky Ford is usually worth the drive.
Good Fishing,
Don

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ty, I am not sure exactly where you live, but I fish the little Spokane somewhat frequently and have limited experience fishing the Colville river as well. I am not sure if you'd be interested, but I'd be glad to go out with you and show you some of the spots I am familiar with. Let me know.

Dave

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im goin to gonzaga university and live about 15 min north of there. We just got out for winter vacation and i leave tomorrow mornin for home in the seattle area. However when i get back in january itd be great to learn a few spots i can go to on the weekends. I was acutally up driving along the little spokane river yesterday looking for places to fish. It seems pretty limited, but i wouldnt really know. I also stopped and fished latah(hangman) creek between the mouth and bridge. Thanks for offering your time!

Tyler

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tyler,

I was searching the archives for info on the winter fishing situation in Spokane. My inlaws live over there and we are planning a visit. I saw that you found some fishing pretty close in town. Did you have any success in fishing that run of Hangman? I went to college in Spokane but didn't fish at the time. That being said I never would have imagine that little creek supporting trout! I don't imagine there is much water down there now, but could you tell me where you got access?

Noah

·
Banned
177 Posts
I used to live in Spokane and fly fish occasionally when I was there. The majority of the fishing I did in winter was on Lake Roosevelt where fishing for big trout can be very good. You need a boat for most of it, though, so that may not be of interest.

First, I wouldn't bother with Hangman Creek as it doesn't have much water in the summer, and I can't see it supporting a decent spawning run of anything. I certainly could be wrong on that, but it's such a shallow, hot creek in the summer, I don't see it providing much habitat for trout.

For my money, if you don't mind driving and exploring, try to find the headwaters of Crab Creek which really begins around Reardan. Those little creeks and the main Crab Creek in the Harrington area has some surprising fishing. I'm told there are even brook trout that live in the upper reaches, but I can't confirm that.

Failing that, I'd hit for some of the creek mouths on Roosevelt and fish them with a sinking line and a large fly. Hawk Creek (by the campground) would be one place I'd try, and I would bushwhack for the others.

The few times I fished the Spokane itself during the winter, I blanked. But when you come back to school in the fall, spend some time on the river as the fishing can be very, very good. If you fish below town toward the state park, you will find some big trout.

Good luck,

Keith

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noah,

Hangman had a decent amount of water, but i didnt have much success. I wasnt too worried about catchin fish. I was just mainly working on my casting. I got access through a park on the south side of the spokane river. I believe its called high bridge park, but either way if i remember right its off of riverside ave. I have also heard that the spokane river has some good spots, but i dont know myself. I havent fished it.

Tyler

Fish On!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.