Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bobbers n Beadz
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty Gents,

As most of us may know, (those that don't really need to look outside) It is Winter! I always practice and preach the small midge flies, bwo nymphs, and the stones in the winter. This summer I took a major liking to the streamer game. Although, in the winter, tactics change fish change and our own bodies change. I was wondering who would have any tips to their favorite winter streamer tactics and flies. I am presuming that Spring\Summer tactics are all but obsolete...

Connor H :thumb:

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
I think trout are just small steelhead, so in winter I follow the following steelhead rule: Low and slow. In winter it's really a matter of fishing the deep slow runs and pools, getting the streamer way down low, and managing your casts and line such that you keep the fly moving at something between a swing and a dead drift. I try to visualize the fly dancing just off the bottom.

·
Formerly FlyCatcherman, formerly Don_The_Fly
105 Posts
iagree

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with the low and slow method. I use a sink tip everytime in the winter. Focus on the deep pools, but don't pass up the usually trout water. I like to use olive and black flies. Usually a size 4 or 6. Here are a couple flies I tied which have worked very well for big trout.

·
Bobbers n Beadz
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was with you guys on the low and slow mentality... I was looking at some pictures in the gallery of people (Mike Doughty) throwin the T&A in freezing temps. That just looks way too fun not to try... I can't wait for the Yak to unfreeze!

·
My other car is a fly rod.
111 Posts
I nymph 8 inch long flesh flies in the winter
Hey Powder_Monkey, could you post a pic of your 8-inch flesh fly (no jokes from the others, please, unless you must).

I've been think about tying up a stripped rabbit fur fly to mimic all the flesh I've been seeing floating down around me in the Winter time.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Just realize that in 33-38 degree water the fish won't move far to eat something. A conehead bugger mostly drifted, but twitched occasionally like a salmon jig looks like an easy meal to any trout you put it in front of. Streamers in the winter will get you the biggest fish, but if conditions are right you can get good numbers with a stone nymph/midge dropper. Try the Rainbow Warrior, good fly!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.