Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know . . . I know . . . we've had waaaayyyy too much talk of Whitefish on the forum lately, but I can't resist . . . . tis the season you know.

I want to hear about everyone's great days fishing for whitefish in the dead of winter. I'm trying to psych myself up for getting out on the Yak tribs in the snow and ice and catch some of these things.

Any tips, general directions, and other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've never actually targeted them, but I've tangled with some nice whitefish over the years. The biggest ones I've caught by far were in Utah while I was going to school down there. I've caught a few little ones on the yak and some big ones in Wyoming. I posted some great pictures of some pig whitefish in the gallery under fish/whitefish.

I always seem to get them on small black nymphs fished deep and slow.

I'm lookin' for a way to keep the water from ice-ing up the guides and I may need to use a thingamabobber instead of a poly yarn indicator . . . which is sad because I love the poly's.

Tight lines everyone . . . . . even if they are on . .ahem . . . . whitefish!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Whitefish rules : "Fishing gear is restricted to one single-point hook, maximum hook size 3/16" point to shank (hook size 14), and bait is allowed." This has changed from the larger hook sizes and 2 or 3 hooks on the line to - one single-point hook. There are some large Whitefish in the Columbia, the trick is to find the school. Then we used to drop back behind the school of Whitefish and catch Steelhead.

And following the standard WDFW confusion Yakima above Rosa : "Statewide min. size/daily limit. Release all TROUT. Selective gear rules, except Dec. 1-Feb. 28: whitefish gear may be used for WHITEFISH only." So Luke, if you catch a Whitefish on size 12 prince you have to release it?

Craig

·
I hope she likes whitefish
1,724 Posts
Whitefish rules : "Fishing gear is restricted to one single-point hook, maximum hook size 3/16" point to shank (hook size 14), and bait is allowed." This has changed from the larger hook sizes and 2 or 3 hooks on the line to - one single-point hook. There are some large Whitefish in the Columbia, the trick is to find the school. Then we used to drop back behind the school of Whitefish and catch Steelhead.

And following the standard WDFW confusion Yakima above Rosa : "Statewide min. size/daily limit. Release all TROUT. Selective gear rules, except Dec. 1-Feb. 28: whitefish gear may be used for WHITEFISH only." So Luke, if you catch a Whitefish on size 12 prince you have to release it?

Craig
Good question. As I see it, this statement, "whitefish gear may be used for WHITEFISH only" in that section of water just means you can use bait as long as it's on a size 14 hook above roza and you're targeting whitefish. I would think if you're targeting trout and happen on a whitefish, it'd be legal. However I could be wrong. Confusing to say the least...

OMJ should be in here soon. Maybe he can shed light...

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm lookin' for a way to keep the water from ice-ing up the guides and I may need to use a thingamabobber instead of a poly yarn indicator . . . which is sad because I love the poly's.

Tight lines everyone . . . . . even if they are on . .ahem . . . . whitefish![/QUOTE]

Bait fishermen on the Klickitat squirt a bit of WD40 on their guides to keep them from freezing up. I would think that a silicone floatant would do the same thing. Basically it repels the water and keeps the guides open. It does have to be re-applied throughout the day. SS

·
newt
200 Posts
you can use a bigger hook on the rosa and above section. anywhere else you must use a size 14 and smaller. But i think you have to release up there????....nope confirmed you can keep all EXCEPT trout all over the yak. and yes size 14 rule enforced below the rosa dam but no whitefish gear restrictions from rosa to Keechelus Dam.... so size is not an issue. love the rules!

I have gone a few times and didn't luck out...

i will go again Monday or Wednesday! hah or both!

·
Registered
455 Posts

Bait fishermen on the Klickitat squirt a bit of WD40 on their guides to keep them from freezing up. I would think that a silicone floatant would do the same thing. Basically it repels the water and keeps the guides open. It does have to be re-applied throughout the day. SS[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting WD40 on a flyrod? Wouldn't this eat the line? Floatant sounds like a good idea, though!

·
Honorary Member
10,205 Posts
I know . . . I know . . . we've had waaaayyyy too much talk of Whitefish on the forum lately, but I can't resist . . . . tis the season you know.

I want to hear about everyone's great days fishing for whitefish in the dead of winter. I'm trying to psych myself up for getting out on the Yak tribs in the snow and ice and catch some of these things.

Any tips, general directions, and other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've never actually targeted them, but I've tangled with some nice whitefish over the years. The biggest ones I've caught by far were in Utah while I was going to school down there. I've caught a few little ones on the yak and some big ones in Wyoming. I posted some great pictures of some pig whitefish in the gallery under fish/whitefish.

I always seem to get them on small black nymphs fished deep and slow.

whitefish suck!

·
Fish Slayer
1,557 Posts
Nothing better than a day on the Crooked catching big ol' 2 pound whities!!!! It was so cold over thanksgiving weekend, my finger had ice build up on it where I was stripping the line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.