Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my Cabelas Stowaway rod and am using the opportunity to trade up in quality.

I'm looking for a rod that breaks down into at least 5 pieces. 3 weight is fine. Over 8ft 6in would be ideal.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
May I suggest you keep an eye out for a Sage SP 389-5. It's the 3 wt., 8 foot 9 inch, 5-piece version of Sage's famous SP line. SPs were originally introduced back in the mid- to late 1990s with the 5 piece SPs coming out a few years later. All the 5-piece SPs came with two tips: 'Trip Insurance' as Sage stated in their ads.

The SPs have been out of production for 7 or 8 years, but you can still find them now and then on eBay, the classifieds here, and on other flyfishing forums. I first bought a used SP 489-5 several years ago and was taken with how well the rod fit my personal spastic casting stroke that I bought a couple more: first in 5wt; and then in 3wt about 3 years ago. The guy I bought it from lived in Minnesota and I paid him $415 including shipping. It had only been used a few times and came with a blank warranty card.

K

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kent,

Thanks a lot for the information. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal. $400 might be a little more than I'd like to spend on a backpacking rod since I tend to be pretty clumsy. But, I do love the sage rods that I have now and would love to have the same performance in a rod that I can pack into the remote areas that I really love.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I have the Albright 5pc 3wt, and it loves to ride on a plane. It's also my go-to small stream rod, just feels great in the hand. They also make a 9' 4wt, I'm sure it's nice too. The March Brown rods are pretty nice, but not as nice as the Albright, I have the Hidden Water 9' 4wt and it's rather heavy but powerful. Don't pay more than $150 for a MB or you're getting screwed.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,350 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.