Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
If you have trouble finding the Able version, check out the DB Dunn version. I have one of those and it is rock solid safe transportation for your gear.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Caddishatch, yes, the DB Dunn is rectangular in shape, has enough room inside to hold multiple rods, I think I've put as many as 7 inside it for one trip (in rod socks only). It also has gear storage pockets on the outside that held all my reels, tippet, flies etc. The rods I put in there were up to 10' 4pc rods so it will handle most of what you might have. I don't know the dimensions, but I do know that it has three square PVC "tubes" inside that protect the rods. If you are unable to find one and want to make one on the cheap, the square tubing inside is the same stuff as used in some downspout applications. Pretty stout stuff that I've seen at my local hardware shop that carries such stuff.

Fishpond makes a pair too, they are round though, big round tubes that can hold quite a few rods inside. I bet you can put four or five in those tubes too.

Best.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I want some more of these cases too; I got an expo and a regular when Abel was clearing them out for under $50 each. You can put lots of rods in them and they don't roll in a boat or car. From what Abel told me, they quit making luggage due to various labor/material costs; but I don't think there are any real competitors that make the same quality product. Too bad.

Now used Abel cases sell for 2-3X that on EBAY, if you can find them at all. There was one on this site early this yr and it sold in about an hour for $35 or so.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The reason they are still on the website is probably a comment on Abel's resources more than it is a reality. I can verify that no luggage or rod carriers have been available for at least two years

·
Registered
124 Posts
I a virtually new green Abel carrier 3 1/2 x 7 x 42 that has been in my closet for quite a while. It has never been used. If you look at the Abel site you will see this one described. I would consider moving it out for what I paid for it which is $135 plus shipping of $15 If interested please contact me by e-mail to make arrangements

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one for you. It is blue and about 44" long x 3-1/2 square. Easily fits 4 4-piece 9' and is rated to take 6 3-piece 10'

I bought it from the previous owner with 3 brand new rods and 1 slightly used rod inside it. It looks like it has has very light use, if any. May have just been a closet rod tube. Let me know if you are interested.

[email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.