Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
The Adjustable Force Fins are the only ones designed to fit over wading boots, hence the two adjustable straps over the top of each foot. All others are intended to be used with neoprene feet in stockingfoot waders (which, some of my friends say, is a much better experience than using the Adjustables with heavy wading boots.) Regardless, if you're thinking about a pair of non-Adjustables, I'd be damned sure they fit properly since if they don't, you risk having them coming off at an inopportune time and the don't float.

As a strategy, it might be worthwhile to bring your wading boots along to a fly shop and then seeing if they'll fit in any of the non-Adjustables. Buying a pair over the Internet without trying them on seems to me to be a sure-fire invitation to an unhappy experience if they don't fit properly (Force Fins don't float, so if an ill-fitting one comes loose at an inopportune time, you could be SOL). If the standard fins don't fit, then get ready for the sticker shock associated with Adjustable Force Fins. They're very efficient, very expensive, and very sought-after, so nobody is likely to offer even a well-used pair on the cheap.

Just sayin' . . .

K

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Consider getting a pair of quality dive fins! They're about the same price as Force Fins and in my opinion better than them. I found them for $189 at the Scuba shop in Woodinville, but any scuba dive shop should have something. Make sure to tell them you're sitting in a float tube or pontoon and get the softer (more flexible) ones. They will fit over your boots if you get the right size. For my size 12 feet I'm going to get the XL fins.

Bill

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bought mine from Cabelas when they had the free shipping, cost around $150. Had other brands and didn't care for them, you get what you pay for. I have a size 11 Patagonia boot and they fit fine, haven't loosened up yet. Suggest you but the fin teathers though.

Remember always catch and release for our grandkids!

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Allison, wading boots do very little to keep your feet warm, so if your still in the market....another thing to consider. I switched from the adjustables to the standard Force Fins and wear neoprene socks[$20.00 Cabelas] over my waders. An extra 2-3 mm. for the neoprene socks makes a huge difference in keeping your feet warm and you can wear extra socks without pinching your toes in a boot. If I have to walk very far to the launch I use an oversize pair of sandals for comfort. Either way is a tradeoff and I switched mostly for back issues, but it's a big difference weight wise: no wading boots and the fins are about 20% lighter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.