Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there comrades.

I broke an oar in quick fashion while on a death cheating trip with our unruly amigo Mumbles.

Actually, I was totally surprised by just how easy it was to bust an oar. I think the watermaster oars with the metal tubes are pieces of crap - they are built like toy raft materials.

Anyhow - if you have a couple of these crappy oars laying around, I'll buy them. I know I'll be breaking some more given my overzealous rowing into the depths of the rocky abyss.

Also, if you have better oars - super oars - oars as stiff as granite, yet light as a feather, I will kindly pay you (cash money in your pocket!) to take them off your grubby hands.

Cheers-
Jesse

·
Love vintage graphite!
1,125 Posts
Jesse,

Be careful how strong of an oar you use with a Watermaster. You could easily get an oar that is waaaaay stronger than the attachment point on the boat. Then, when rowing in an "overzealous" fashion the oar mount on the boat breaks before the oar itself. Ouch!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Watermaster makes a tougher upgraded oar/blade that I've been using with good luck for 7 years with no breakage (knock on wood). I just take one of the lightweight original oars along as a backup. Did you break the whole oar or just the blade?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watermaster makes a tougher upgraded oar/blade that I've been using with good luck for 7 years with no breakage (knock on wood). I just take one of the lightweight original oars along as a backup. Did you break the whole oar or just the blade?
just the blade. I think I've figured out a way (at least in my mind) to fashion a rig to fix it with some brackets. But, I just know it's bound to happen again and again.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jesse,

Be careful how strong of an oar you use with a Watermaster. You could easily get an oar that is waaaaay stronger than the attachment point on the boat. Then, when rowing in an "overzealous" fashion the oar mount on the boat breaks before the oar itself. Ouch!
good words. nothing would be worse than seeing that attachment point rip off and gush air. Eeeeek.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
i also broke one, just the blade. wm in missoula sells only the whole oar for $99.99. i have 3 wms and have not needed a third one yet but i will soon. so i am also looking for an oar blade. there are two sizes. one is the older and the other is the new ones. i need the old one. i think the older ones are slightly larger, but i am not positive. mike w

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Death cheating? Hell, I thought that was a fun row, even though some of the spots had a lot of water going under huge cut banks and root balls. I thought you rowed that trip very well. I kept waiting for you at the end of the runs and watching you. It looked like you were having as much fun as me. We need to do that trip again with more time for fishing and less for moving.

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
Buy some 6' Cataract oars and you'll never have to worry about them again. You'll have to drill holes to fit the pins. Perfect oars for that boat...... Oh, and don't dig too deep if you don't have to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.