Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's available in the canyon now. We usually float Ringer to Umtanum but are thinking of doing another float. Is Bighorn open? Can you pull out at Red's if you pay? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Jon

·
Registered
350 Posts
Jon,
Starting at the top from any map. Check on Reds if you want. these are the ones I know.
Ringer
Big Horn- 5.00 to use
Mile Post 20 not bad
Mile Post 19 4x4 best
Umtanum--BLM fee
Reds - 5.00 to use
Llumma--BLM fee
Mile Post 10 not bad
Big Pines/The Slab--BLM fee
Mahre's Corner
Rosa--BLM fee I think.

BLM 5.00 per use or 30.00 this summer until Sept 15th I think. Park out on the road and may not get a ticket, some were giving warnings today, and some tickets.

Craig

·
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Craig. That's big help.

Jon

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
At first blush, $30 does seem high. But a shuttle requires two people, one to drive your vehicle and a second to drive the first person back to the shop. If it is a put-in / take out like Ringer to Reds, that is about 12 miles of driving each way, a minimum of a half hour of two peoples' time, plus gas/insurance/etc. for the shuttle vehicle.

Like you, I'm cheap, but I view shuttles as part of the cost of a day of fishing. I have thought about the bicycle option too (or small scooter), but those gasoline trucks and fruit trucks that barrel along the canyon road (and the flyfishers like myself who keep over half an eye on the river while they are driving, not the road) have discouraged me. Better to pay for a shuttle than a hospital room....

Plus, I've never worked out how to secure all my gear while I'm biking back to my vehicle. Sure, I can lock the pontoon frame to a tree or something, but I wouldn't dare leave oars, rods, boxes of flies, etc. behind and carrying all that stuff in a pack on my back as I peddle upstream to my vehicle seems unlikely. I guess one could secure an empty metal cabinet or similar at the takeout to lock up your gear.

Of course, the best solution is to have two vehicles and you can self-shuttle. But even here, you have to ask yourself, is the cost of driving two vehicles from the wet side to the dry side cheaper than the cost of the shuttle even if you could fit all your gear and your buddies gear in one vehicle (towing a drift boat or with secure pontoons, etc.). Can you drive a vehicle from Seattle to the Canyon and back for $30? And what would you miss from the adventure if you have to drive back by yourself, rather than pumping each other up on the way over or recounting the adventures of the day on the way back.

Steve

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Even when I have two vehicles with me I usually pay for a shuttle. It is so nice (and worth every penny) to pull out after a long day on the river and have your truck and boat trailer right there. Rick

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
$30 isn't expensive at all. And I agree with Rick, it's worth EVERY PENNY! After a long day on the sticks, when you get to the takeout and can just load boat and take off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.