Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if natural yak hair is used for tying flies. I thought I had seen it referenced a few times as a tying material for saltwater flies. If so, anybody know the supply vs. demand for this material? Thanks!

·
Moving to FL
598 Posts
It's great for ling cod flies (i.e. 9" clousers). It doesn't tangle as much as synthetic hair at that length. Otherwise, I don't really have a use for it as I prefer to use bucktail for my shorter clousers. It's getting more difficult to find.

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
If so, anybody know the supply vs. demand for this material? Thanks!
Supply far exceeds demand in regards to fly tying as long as you are willing to look outside of the flyfishing market and look instead towards spinning, weaving, knitting fiber suppliers.

TC

·
Moving to FL
598 Posts
Supply far exceeds demand in regards to fly tying as long as you are willing to look outside of the flyfishing market and look instead towards spinning, weaving, knitting fiber suppliers.
Excellent point. Although I can't recall stumbling on yak hair in the fabric stores I've visited, a quick google search indicates there's a sizable supply for that application. You may have to invest in some acid dye to meet your fly pattern needs if you go that route, but that's all part of the fun. Now if I could only find a craft store that had a good supply of BEP hackle!

·
Should be OlympiaFarq now...
436 Posts
I use Spirit River UV Yak Hair for Miyawaki Beach Poppers and some other things. It's tough and doesn't lose it's shape/volume when wet. For example, I use it as tails on shrimp patterns because it stays bulkier when wet compared to marabou. I think that makes the tail look more like claws as opposed to marabou, which shrinks and moves more like a baitfish tail would. I like the idea of using it for Clousers - I might try that in the future.

If nothing else, it's good for getting weird looks from your significant other when you tell them about the cool colored yak hair you bought.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I use it for tails on my tiger musky flies. It swims well and seems fairly durable. I have also used conditioner on it to help clean it and straighten some of the waviness. The conditioner will also remove some the excess dye.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.