Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I asked for advice last week on the canyon and LDR gave some good advice, along with suggestions from folks at Reds. I fished between mileposts 8-17 two different days (Th and Sat) and tried hard with BWOs but only managed a few bows from large pods below soft riffles on a few stretches. The weather on TH was ok, but little action until around 11 when the sun cam out and hatches began. I floated a green midge over one riffle and POW! a 20-inch bow (my estimate) nailed it off the top and the fight was on. After several spirited runs, I maneuvered the fish over to calm water and next to my knees when he shook off the #18, and i was happy to have gotten him that far!

I've never done very well on the Yak with large fish so I was in heaven, and would've been happy if nary another fish was caught, but it was just beginning! The best part of this trip was finally getting fed up with spotty dry/midge fishing and switching to streamers. On the same stretch I'd fished for more than an hour, I landed 3 additional hogs--two 17s and an 18-incher, which was a Cut-Bow and the prettiest I've seen. Black woolley bugger with a split shot just above the knot gave it good twitchy action among the boulders and generated violent strikes. And, I lost at least 2 other big ones (and my bugger on one). While there I saw a family of bighorns climbing on the cliffs above the river, river otter, and some incredible birds.

OK, so, that's TH. On Sat, upon a return from my business trip in Pasco, I arrived at the same stretch at 8:30 expecting to drink my coffee and read the paper until it warmed up and some hatch action started. But, I just could not sit and wait once I hit the river, espacially after the memory of what happened just 2 days prior, so I put on the thermals, gloves, and tied on a #2 black bugger with a nymph dropper. Within 10 minutes I had another huge bow, a 17", and by noon had landed two more large rainbow, another 17 and an 18--brightest bow of the trip with rouge-colored gill plate and blood-red markings--and a couple smaller fish around 15, including another cuttbow.

Sat was mostly overcast and nearly no one was on the river until about noon when it warmed up and there was some periodic sunshine. I tried several diffeent spots but never enjoyed much success. Near the end of the day I found a stretch where fish were podded-up and slurping off the surface, and I waded up behind them and tried every dry and midge I thought might work but that yielded only a few small fish. I know these fish are picky but it's humbling to say the least when you try it all, with decent presentation, only to see them ignore completely most everything you put out there.

SO, short story is of my most successful day ever on the Yak. There are some huge fish, they like streamers, and the action is not just for folks in drift boats.

Fish ON! :COOK

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
GLAD YOU HAD A GREAT TIME !!! NOW IS INDEED THE TIME TO ME THE BIG BOYS COME OUT TO PLAY... BEST PART ABOUT ALL THIS, IS THAT THEY HAVE FRIENDS, LOTS OF THEM....

·
Trevor Hutton
545 Posts
Well, my report isn't nearly as impressive, But I went to the Yak for a couple hours today (monday) and after a quick stop by Red's, I decided to hit the water around milepost 9. well, not much happening on top, and here is my theory, somebody just yell at me if i am wrong and tell me the right answer. So here is what I noticed. The sun was shining and then the clouds rolled over pretty quick. Does this affect the hatch? I also think I might have left a bit early, cause on my way to the car I saw some what i believe to be mohoganies. It wasn't my fault though, my dad got cold and I didnt want to just leave him. anyway, I proceeded to throw a hellacious contraption consisting of a dark brown skip nymph ( like a cross between a hare's ear and a pheasant tail) with a small red copper john as a dropper and just a little weight above one of my tippet knots. So, I cast out and fairly quickly I had a strong hit, saw the fish, then lost him- and both flies, likely due to my neglegent knot tying in the morning. I rerigged and continued the same same little stretch, landing two and hooking two more. Does anybody know why I lose em so much? I am probably not anticipating the strike enough so i react too slowly. I consider today a huge success, as This was my first nymph fishing success on big water like the Yakima- especially in only about two hours. I think I am finally starting to get the hang of it ( and its about time too, after two years) Wow- that was a lot of typing- I didnt realize I ever had much to say. well, enough for now - Trevor

Money can't buy a perfect presentation.

·
998 Posts
I guess my question is how well did you see the fish ? By that I mean that it could have been a big white fish..Or at least white fish mixed in with the trout you were working for.. I was told by a old timer years ago that they used to refer to them as five second fish. With their mouths so fragile, you would lose them in five seconds as you tore the hook out of its mouth. Anything longer than five seconds you had a really good chance of landing them. This time of year the "all mighty whities" really make thier presense known. Huge schools of them can be seen in different places working, and they will even take dries and can be hooked if patient in setting the hook. I'm not a whitie guy, but I know they can be a blast. My boys look forward to finding a school of them and playing with them as long as they can. Me, I'll let them have them and look elsewhere. They are great fighters and can really save a empty day when the rainbows don't want to play.. My guess, they (or some of them) were all mighty whities... Try setting the hook with a slow down river motion to pull the fly into their mouths instead of straight up, wich can short lip them. Especially as it gets colder, they react slower and this may or may not help. But no matter what happens, your into fish, and thats says it all... Greg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Amen to that...Whities have saved me many a bad day on the water, therefor I try to release them just like trout, quickly without getting them out of the water too much. Ahh..The memories of white knuckle fishing for whities in colorado :LOVEIT

~Ryan

·
Trevor Hutton
545 Posts
well, I know the two i landed were bows, and am pretty sure of another one because I could see it fairly well under the water when it first took the fly and got a little surprise, as for the others I have no clue, But that is some useful info anyhow. What water should be targeted to look for if i were to go after the whities... The pools I assume? thanks - trevor
Money can't buy a perfect presentation.

·
998 Posts
PRETTY MUCH WHERE YOU FIND RAINBOWS YOU WILL FIND WHITIES..THERE IS NO DOUBT YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO TYPES OF FISH, ESPECIALLY WHEN IN HAND. DIDNT MEAN TO MAKE IT SOUND LIKE YOU DIDNT KNOW, BUT THE WHITIES CAN BE MISLEADING ALMOST UNTIL YOU GET THEM TO HAND. THEY DO SEEM TO DRIVE DOWN BACK TO THE BOTTOM MORE THAN THE RAINBOWS DO, THEY ARE VERY STRONG AND STRONG WILLED TO STAY ON THE BOTTOM AND MOVE LATERALLY TO THE BOTTOM AND NOT GET OFF IT. BUT ONCE YOU FIND ONE, YOU FOUND A LOT MORE THAN THAT... I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND AROUND UMTANUM IS A GOOD SPOT, THE LOWER SECTION JUST TO THE LEFT OF THE BOAT LAUNCH. THEN ITS HIT AND MISS WHERE THEY MIGHT BE. IF YOU CAN GET ABOVE THE RIVER AND LOOK DOWN AND WATCH FOR FEEDING FISH THEY SHOW THEMSELVES PRETTY GOOD. THEY WILL LOOK LIKE FLASH BULBS GOING OFF UNDER THE WATER. THE GUY I FISH WITH HAS A FLY THAT THEY WILL NOT LEAVE ALONE... ITS LIKE A LONG HAIRS EAR BUT IS ALMOST CREAM COLORED. AFFECTIONALY REFERRED TO AS THE ARIAN TROUT FLY.... LIKE I SAID EARLIER, SET THE HOOK SOFTLY WITH A DOWN RIVER SET, ALMOST NOTHING HARDER THAN PUTTING TENSION ON THE LINE WITH SMALL FORCE. FEEL FOR THE HOOK SET THEN SEE WHERE IT GOES. AS THE WATER GETS COOLER THEY DONT GO AS AGGRESIVELY TO THE FLY OR GRAB ON QUITE AS HARD, SO YOU DO HAVE TO SLOW DOWN YOUR REACTION TO THE INDICATOR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.