Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be heading to Yakima for some professional development around May 20-21. Anyone know about conditions around that time of year? Have they already opened up the damn for the farming by that point? Can I expect high or low water around May 20-21?

Suggestions for bugs around that time?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
The end of May the dams probably won't be releasing significant amounts of water for irrigation. Generally in June the flows go up. Snow melt may be an issue but then who knows?

Several species of Cadis come off in May. Be sure to have some olive size 14 elk hair cadis and some tan and brown ones ready to go. You may want some soft hackles and or flymphs in your arsonal! Then don't forget the BWO's and Baetis and some Pale Morning Duns. It is always a good idea to have a few sculpin type patterns with you.

The biggest problem in May is figuring out what in the heck are the fish taking!!! There are overlapping hatches going on.

Then there are the nymphs. Hares ears, pheasant tails, princes and stone flys can all be productive at the right place at the right time.

If you hit it right and figure out the puzzle the fishing can be phenominal. I have seen it happen but have yet to get all the pieces in place at the right time and place. I think the key is be willing to change flies quickly if there is no response from rising fish. If fishing a dry then hang some sort of emerger off it. No fish then switch. I have come to the conclusion that often the fish are not taking a dry but are tuned into the emerger or the drowned adult or the cripple. Another thing that I picked up on is don't beat the water to death. These fish see a lot of pressure. Make every cast count! Pick your spot and give a good presentation. When there are multiple rises pick a particular fish and figure out your cast and how to present it. Once I started using the stop, look, observe and then cast I started catching more fish. This is a difficult approach when you see 30 or 40 fish rising in casting range but casting blind is not the answer!!

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.