Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be borrowing a drift boat from a buddy on Fri and Sat the 14th and 15th. I'm planning of floating the Canyon and was wondering if there is a good camping spot up there and where the best spots to put in and take out will be. I have 2 buddies coming with me so we won't need a shuttle.

Also any ideas on what flies will be the most affective mid April?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've seen people in campers at the Slabs. Thats downriver from Red's. If you're doing two days, you could float Big Horn to Red's, then Red's to the Slabs the next. Don't know what river flows are like right, but I have to assume the river is running pretty good.

Edit: Just took a look at the USGS site for Umtanum and it's moving. Flows are approx. 4500cfs right now.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Not sure that spring run off is the best time. A couple of weeks ago, coffee with cream. If the temps continue to go up, I would bail. Of course, you could have a good float. There are others that will have much better info than me.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're headed to Rocky Ford Creek Tues night, fishing the ford Wed, Thurs going to dry creek or Lenore. Might stay and fish there Fri and head to the Yak Fri night and do a long float Saturday.

Not sure yet. Have 4 days to fish

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've seen people in campers at the Slabs. Thats downriver from Red's. If you're doing two days, you could float Big Horn to Red's, then Red's to the Slabs the next. Don't know what river flows are like right, but I have to assume the river is running pretty good.

Edit: Just took a look at the USGS site for Umtanum and it's moving. Flows are approx. 4500cfs right now.
I heard that Big Horn won't be open. Right now there is a for sale sign at the entrance.

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
We're headed to Rocky Ford Creek Tues night, fishing the ford Wed, Thurs going to dry creek or Lenore. Might stay and fish there Fri and head to the Yak Fri night and do a long float Saturday.

Not sure yet. Have 4 days to fish
Hi SN,
Before locking in that schedule, I would look at the weather, especially the winds in the basin and the temps for the Yak. It is not unusual to have a day or two of 20+mph winds (with higher gusts) that can make Dry Falls or Lenore are real challenge, potentially life threatening. Similarly, a warm spell can melt the snow in the Teanaway drainage and bump up flows; alternatively, a cold snap might slow the melt and drop flows into a more reasonable range. You can fish those spots in reverse too if the Yak flows are good at the start of your trip and the winds are predicted to die down near the end.

As far as Yak flies, by mid-April, I would expect that the Skwala emergence would be about over. There should be a BWO hatch around noonish (better on an overcast day). You might also find some PMDs in the morning and March browns coming off.
Steve

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
The river has been coming and going. It might be in shape then, might not. The canyon has a handful of campgrounds and they are all pretty well visible on Google maps. The upper river would be in better shape, but there aren't any official campsites up there. You can always just pull the boat over and pitch a tent, but there are lots of houses and private land in that section so keep that in mind.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Haven't fished the Yak in a long time, but was by there a week ago to check out Red's resort. $20 to use the launch!!!? Really? What a deal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like to float from Bighorn to Big Pines on the Yak. However last fall, the Bighorn area was closed and chained off. I went upstream to mile marker 19 (or 20) for a DIY launch. It's good to have a 4x4 in case it's muddy.

In terms of the flows, I suspect they are high with low visibility. As someone mentioned, the USGS site suggests 4500 cfs at Umtanum, tough fishing. I get the straight poop from Red's, I'd call them and get their thoughts.

I camp at the Big Pines BLM campground and take out ramp. NOTE: the train comes by 4 times/night, so ear plugs are advisable for tent campers.

Good luck.
Bill Keeler

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.