Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to go scout the Touchet but was a day late as the river closed 4-15 until June 1st, so I decided to hit the Yak.

After watching the river drop back down to around 2500 cfs, I called Steve Joyce to see what the clarity looked like. Steve said that the irrigation water has been turned on and this has dirtied up the water a little but he said that it was still about 2 feet at Red’s and a little better above Wilson Creek. Since I was planning to fish the same riffle above Ringer that I fished on Friday, I made the 105-mile drive up the freeway instead of cutting through the canyon. I got to the parking lot at Ringers about 11:40 and I was fishing by noon.

The day was partly sunny/cloudy, 55 degrees with a little breeze and the occasional sprinkle. The water was running higher and murkier then Friday but still manageable at this particular run. Started out with a double bead head prince and a trailing hare’s ear nymph. Caught three fish on this set up – 1 monster whitefish (easily 18-20”), 1 6” rainbow and 1 nice 12” rainbow. Started seeing a few bugs on the water so I switched to size 14 Parachute Adams and a size 18 gray CDC emerger trailing about 10” behind. Caught 3 nice 12” rainbows on the emerger in a matter of 15 to 20 minutes. It was not now about 1:20 and the fish were keying on some large Baetis so I clipped off the trailing emerger and landed 3 more 12- 14” rainbows. This hatch only lasted about 20 minutes and then the fish just stopped feeding on the surface.

Drove down the canyon, checking out the river. Not many boats on the river and very few wade fishermen. Stopped a mile post 9 and the water was running quite a bit higher and muddier then last week. The wind was picking up and there were a few more sprinkles. Watched for any rises, flipped an elk hair caddis along the foam line the best I could with the wind creating havoc. Saw a few caddis flitting around but no takers. Called it a day and head back home. 4 hours of fishing and 3 hours of driving, some would call me crazy but I say dedicated!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

Since you mentioned the Touchet, maybe you could keep me in mind (assuming you'd be willing to hook up with someone new) when the season comes around again. Since I started flyfishing some sixteen or so months ago, I've moved more and more in the direction of making the Touchet my "home waters" and I'd be willing to explore this with someone else. I haven't yet developed any "sweet spots" but I'm starting to get a little more focused. Plus the price of gas makes one start to think more locally anyway (I'm in the Tri-Cities). I've got a local friend who fishes with me sometimes but his availability is limited by family responsibilities, but my young'uns are all grown and so it goes...
Anyway, keep it in mind if you're interested; if not, no harm done!

Mike:thumb

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AlpineTrout, I've done that to play golf (drove over one Sunday evening to play Eagle Bend in Big Fork the next Monday morning and then drove back home that afternoon) but haven't done it yet (yet being the key word) to fish.

Mike, I live in Richland and would love to get to know the Touchet better. We'll have to get together for some June fishing.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I wouldn't call you crazy. Just did the same drive to Ringers last Sat and back. Sunday I clocked out at 10 pm, drove 3 hours to the Sol Duc, slept 4 hours, got up and fished 6 hours and then drove back for nothing. So I'm with ya Brother.

I like that spot at Ringers. I saw a guy take his wife across to other side in a drift boat. They fished like champions. Everytime I looked over, he was pulling something in. When he was done he rowed back over to Ringers and went home. Now I'm thinking me and my pontoon boat could access a lot of spots like that, without drifting downstream. One just needs to get to where the waders, like me, ain't. Just a thought as I don't know of anyone to drift with.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I like that river also but if you worry about the price of gas you should live where I do. I live in Marysville so it is not a short drive. But I look at it this way, If you enjoy fishing there it is never too far to go. I think that all the people that fly fish are just alittle nuts any way :thumb

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.