Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the Yak Friday and Saturday.

On Friday I took my new boat and floated with a friend. We hit a good March Brown hatch that lasted for about an hour and then petered out very quickly. I was mostly interested in playing with my new toy and decided only to stop and fish for risers but we never saw any more. Pretty windy at times but not a bad day.

I had to work half a day on Saturday. Afterwards we planned to take the kids fishing at the local pond. However, my friend called to say he couldn't make it so I ran down to the spot were we enjoyed the hatch on Friday. I had a great two hours of fishing. Started out on top with a dry and caught some very nice cutthroat and rainbows. Once the fish quit rising I put on a brown beadhead nymph, more out of curiosity than anything else. I caught a few whitefish and decided to end on a good note. While walking back to my rig, I peered over the bridge to see if I could see any of the fish that I had caught. Like the dumb ass that I am, I forgot to zip my fly vest pocket and out fell a full box of flies. I watched it float down the river about 500 yards and left. I first thought, "At least it wasn't my camera (which was also in an unzipped pocket) but then realized a box stuffed with 150 flies is probably valued close to my 4 year old digital camera.

I guess losing a box of flies is sometimes the price to pay for having a new toy to row down the river, having a good float with a friend, and having a great day on dries.

Attached are a few pictures. I spared you the whitefish, although I still think they are pretty cool.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I know how you feel on losing a fly box. I set a $50.00 fly box (a C & F design) next to me on the Beaverhead about two years ago and go up and left it there. It was crammed full of flies.

Now when I sit down to tie on a fly I make sure it's in it's pocket.

But nice report. Even if you caught some YT's

Jim

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
Nice work! Were you floating upstream of E-burg. Curious because I haven't hooked many cutts lower. Sweet boat. Whose frame design is that? That raised rack on the back.....? Extra cargo space?

·
Registered
899 Posts
My first time on the Yak had a similar result. I had brought a disposable camera with me and it had shots of my first fly caught Yak rainbow. It too was in my pocket and when I was leaning over to land a fish, plop out and down the river it went. That hurt to lose those shots. Glad you enjoyed your new toy, looks like fun!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim, not sure what YT means but it must be derogatory slang for whitefish.

PT, it is a upgraded version of the Steelheader frame accomplished by extending the anchor point parallel with the tubes which allows for better anchoring. It also provides a nice spot to add a cooler or a seat for another angler if desired. There is a platform right behind the rower seat for a dry bag. The floors are weatherized with a Rhino Lining coating. I like catching cutts so I fish above Ellensburg a lot.

PT and davec, PM me if you like and I can provide more info on the boat.

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
I had something similar to your boat. In fact, I've gone thru a few different models. Really surprised this boat lasted a few days in the classifieds before I was able to snatch it up. Plenty of good times have been had on this pontoon!

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
What a sickening feeling watching a fly box float away. I had the same thing happen on the Klickitat a few years ago when a winters-worth of nymph tying headed downstream.

So just a reminder-print out a label with your name and address and phone number and attach it to all of your fly boxes with clear packaging tape. That stuff last for years. It is no guarantee that your fly box will ever be returned but the chances are better than if there was no address at all. And it might result in meeting someone really decent.

Nice ride BDD-a perfect marriage of Barcalounger and floats!

Ive

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
BDD, sorry about the fly box. Maybe it will find its way back to you. Things have a way of working themselves out. Awesome looking boat. If you've got more photos showing details of the frame, bays and how you've got it set up I'd like to check them out. I've really turned into a floating craft geek always checking out the boats I see for ideas that might lead to my next tinkering project. Nice fish too.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Jim, not sure what YT means but it must be derogatory slang for whitefish.

PT, it is a upgraded version of the Steelheader frame accomplished by extending the anchor point parallel with the tubes which allows for better anchoring. It also provides a nice spot to add a cooler or a seat for another angler if desired. There is a platform right behind the rower seat for a dry bag. The floors are weatherized with a Rhino Lining coating. I like catching cutts so I fish above Ellensburg a lot.

PT and davec, PM me if you like and I can provide more info on the boat.
Yt. When you pronounce it it sounds like you are saying Whity. I just get lazy ever now and then as typing is a chore with only two fingers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.