Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the yak with my wife and dogs for a few hours on Sunday. I usually fish the canyon, but I have decided to make an attempt to learn the upper river a bit better since it's so close to home. Did some bushwacking above Cle Elum and managed to find a few nice holes. Saw some midges coming off and one lonely BWO in an eddy, but no surface activity from the trouts. Water temp was about 42-43. Have to say that it's a completely different experience fishing the upper Yak v. the canyon. The fact that I followed a fresh elk trail to the river, then didn't see another fisherman all day made the outing successful. Add to that the fact that I caught the largest rainbow I have caught on the Yak, and you could say it was a damn good day. It was the only fish of the day, but was a legitimate 18" beauty. And a thick 18 inches. Beautiful colors, beautiful fish. I am now determined to learn this section of the river a bit better; when I get to the point that I spend more time fishing than bushwacking and looking for fishy spots the catch rate should increase.
Tight lines, and have a happy turkey day!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Congrats on the really nice fish and thanks for the great report. I always intend to get up to check out the upper Yakima but never seem to get past the canyon. Maybe this report will get me motivated.

LDR, I'm sending you an e amil with info on the new FFF club being formed for those who fish the Yakima. let me know if you're interested.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg,

I am interested in joining the new club, the only issue would be my meeting attendance due to the distance to Ellensburg. I'll be gone for turkey day but can get the application back to you when I return. Hopefully I'll have a chance to chase some klamath/trinity fishes around on thanksgiving. Have a happy holiday

Marcus

·
Registered
316 Posts
Marcus, right now the plans are to hold business type meetings once a quarter and have a speaker or some other type of program planned for those meetings (probably a raffle/findrasier as well). Looking at February, May, August and November. There will be other social type meetings/outings planned as well as committee meetings (programs, conservation & education) but attendance will be up to each member as to how many meetings they attend. I live in the Tri-Cities, so 100+ miles each way for me.

You and yours have a great hoilday also!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.