Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yakima River Fly Fishers – Auction Update

Yesterday (Saturday, March 1st) was the 1st General membership meeting for the YRFF club. We had a spring clean up in the boat launch sites and along the road, in the morning with 28 people collecting over 150 garbage bags of trash. There were 46 people in attendance for the dinner and the auction, which raise over $4000.00. Jay Robeson gave a great talk on fishing in Alaska. The club is now up to 56 members.

****** won a new cap in the raffle, Sparse bought a trip to Grandma's lake and LDR bought a night's stay in a cabin at Red's and use of a drift boat (need a fishing partner for that float?). From what I heard from Sparse and ******, they had a good day nymphing on Saturday (Sparse said he got 9 good fish).

Sunday, March 2nd fishing report –
I fished milepost 9 from 1:15 to 2:50
9 fish hooked – 8 landed
3 caught & landed on a size 14 parachute BWO
5 caught and landed on a trailing size 18 gray CDC emerger (trailing about 10” behind)
1 rainbow was 12” and 1 was 16”
The others that were landed were all about 14”
All measurements are approximate by holding the fish in the water next to my rod based on markings on my fly rod of 12”, 15” & 18”
The one rainbow that I lost made two runs and then wrapped my line around a submerged stick. I almost had in my hand after the 1st run but it decided to make a 2nd run. If I’d had my net it would have been my new Yakima record as it was easily 18”+ (based on a comparison of my arm).
All the fish were fairly fat and with a nice bright red streak (compared to some of the fish caught in February that were very pale and thin).

Only saw one adult Skwala on the water and it floated out of sight (about 50 yards) without a fish even touching it. Saw one March Brown. Lot’s of BWO but only saw one rise.

Air temp was around 46 degrees, water around 42
Slightly overcast
Light winds

The river was slamming with wade fishermen on Saturday and lots of drift boats on Sunday.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I floated the river on fri from Umtanum to the slab with three guys in the boat. It was overcast with sunbreaks all day. Fished from about 11:30 to 5:00. We had a fair to middlin' day, about a dozen rainbows to the boat, a few more lost, and a couple of whitefish, one pretty nice. The fish came mostly to skwala nymphs and dries, and a couple to mid-size princes. Trout ranged from 12" to about 15", one lost fish was noticably bigger. All in all pretty darn good for the last day of Feb.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What a fun day we had on the yak! Got to meet a bunch of great people. From this website we had me, sparse, gdm43, fly bill, and LDR. We all met at Red's at 9 am for trash bag handouts and some great donuts. I went to Umtanum with Sparse, LDR and gdm43. me managed to fill 7 or 8 trash bags between us. We also found some river treasuries, I found a new spool of 4x tippet and one of those Ketchum Release tools. Sparse found some tippet as well, but LDR took the trophy, a nice wooden C&R net! We had fun fishing in the afternoon as some hatches came off, we had quite a few hook-ups between us. I handed a nice 17" bow on a dry fly and another on a dropper, with several other missed takes. Sparse landed a big fish and LDR added a few quality fish as well. The dinner and meeting was great, got to talk to quite a few people. Met Jim Hill from Hill's discount flies and a lot of the area guides. Did some desert lake exploration on sunday and had fun fishing some new water. Great weekend. :thumb YT:smokin

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have included a few thank you's to those who worked hard to make the auction a success.

David Childs - http://www.dreamflyfishing.com/index.html
Steve Worley - http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/
Jack Mitchell - http://www.theeveninghatch.com/
Steve Joyce - http://www.redsflyshop.com/
The Morning Hatch in Tacoma
Len Lickler (his wife Dawn & daughters - Courtney & Erin), Tyler Laurenti, Jeff Comella, Donna Lease, Larry Gibbs, Bob Shirley & the Wa. council of FFF and The Ellensburg Inn.

I truly appreciate all the effort that went into this event!

Thanks to Chris Scoones, as well for letting me post updates on his great site- Washington Fly Fishing!

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Just out of curiousity, was that net you guys found a Cabelas? I lost mine at Umtanum a year ago. Don't want it back, as I've replace it, so if it was mine consider it my thanks for helping keep the river clean.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Had a great weekend on the yak. Arrived at umtanum after dark on friday and scored a cherry campsite on the river. A nice campfire, some bbq'd burgers, a few beers, and was ready to hit the sack. The late night entertainment (don't worry, its G-rated) consisted of listening to some otters chase fish around the river. They were chattering back and forth, probably making plans on the best way to catch some of them slippery fish (hopefully suckers and whitfish, trout don't taste so good!) The dogs really wanted to go out and join in the ruckus, but I wasn't sure if otters have developed a taste for dog, so I thought it best if they stayed in the truck with me. Saturday morning, I fished for about 1.5 hours prior to the clean up and managed to catch some fish - 4 nice whities, and one ~16 inch rainbow. Broke another heavy fish off.

I met some of the people from this board at the clean-up, including gdm43, ****** and sparse, and a bunch of other people who were donating their time in order to improve this river so many of us love. A great bunch of people and a great cause. It was a spectacular day for a clean up, and a geat day for a bit of fishing. After cleaning, I fished with sparse and ******, at one of sparse's many secret fishing holes. I'll fish the rest of my life and will not have as many secret spots as that guy has now. He did hook us up, though. I got schooled by ****** and sparse in the fish catching department, but managed to land a couple of whitefish and one 13 inch bow. Switched to dries in the afternoon, and landed one 10"er. Also broke a heavy fish off-a total of 2 in a day. I rarely break fish off, and am still a little worked up about it.

The yrff club meeting was fun, and a successful first event for the group. Good food, good drink, good folk. Great way to end the day. Also got to listen ****** regale us about the grueling 2 mile hike, uphill both ways, to spase's spot (I seem to recall a 1/4 mile stroll along the road, but I could have it wrong). It was great meeting all the folks from this board, and those that were over for the clean-up and/or meeting. Hope to see ya on the river!

:beer2
tight lines
LRR

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be remiss if I didn't also thank Jim Hill of Hill's Discount Flies for his donation to the raffle.

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.