Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was there 5/15. There was some sort of large mayfly hatch going on when I first hit the water around 11:30. As the day went on it became all light grey to brown caddis in the size 14 range. It really seemed like it was snowing caddis. I floated from Red's to Slab and I had some pretty good success. Since I was on a short float I decided I was going to spend significate time on the inside corners hitting those seams. I started with nymphs and stuck with them most of the day until about 4 pm. I did pretty well and I hooked some pretty nice fish @ Lumuma on the south side. Hooked a couple nice ones ,one was around 17-18 on pearl lightning bugs #16. I was also doing good with my lead fly which which was a Moorish stone fly in brownish green size 8 1x. I did the best with that combination. The real action started around 4 o'clock. Now I don't fish the Yakima that much so i don't mind divulging this info. Between Lmuma and Sab is a small fork and it comes together down river to form and island. The smaller fork is usually to shallow when the water is lower but at 1800 cfs it is fishable. I decided to try the south fork and slipped in there. Just before it converges again is a sweet hole. The caddis hatch by 4 was in full swing and I noticed a few rising fish and after five minutes the rising got more and more frequent and I noticed that these were large fish in the 20+ range. I don't fish on the surface a lot and only try if I see them rising. Luckily I tied some size fouteen caddis the night before and I used grey deer hair with a peacock dubbing. I was luckly cause this caddis matched my imitation. I tied a large emerger with legs as a lead fly and tied my little grey caddis behind it. There were so many caddis on the water I remember thinking how the fish will strike mine out of all the other food on the surface. Well, it took about ten minutes but I got a rise that was close enough to my caddis to give me confidence. Five minutes later there was another rise at my greyfly and it was on!! I lifted my rod and it felt like a soft snag and then a half a second later a large slabby rainbow shot out the water. My drag was set loose luckily and I was giving line to the fish. 5 minutes later the fish was landed. I fish all year for tout species but getting that big boy on a dry was a thrill I rarely get when nymphing. I passed that grey caddis by that fish for about fifteen minutes before he took it. Sometimes you get lucky when your fishing but a real fishing experience to me is when you know there is fish there and you have confidence in your set up and your homemade flies. You keep casting kowing that eventually that fish is going to see your fly and take it. When you have success it is one of the greatest feelings in fishing. Especially on the Yakima. It can be the most finicky of rivers. The river always calls me back after steelhead season and 1 out 5 trips is decent. But occassionally you get a day like saturday that can lift your spirits for months!!!

forestolibre

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Great report.

Are you the guy with the cool older Suburban and single axle trailer that stayed @ Big Pines?

Most every one else we talked to yesterday and today did not have as much success. Most did not get any fish over 4" in length. Nice job.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
If her Ladyship only spent more time practicing, she would have hooked up some fish, I'm sure. The caddis hatch was really something to see, but she got tired of throwing her little 5wt TFO, so we spent the majority of the float with me on the sticks, and her sitting, enjoying the sights. I wish I'd planned to wade wet-those waders were nice and hot!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.